3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Do our trucks "beep"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:49 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do our trucks "beep"?

I know all about the dings it makes for various warnings but does anything inside make a quiet beep noise??

On two separate occasions I've heard a single, quiet beep that doesn't seem to relate to any specific event except that I think it happens just as I drive away after shifting out of park.... but that may not even have anything to do with it.

I'd really just like to know what it is I'm hearing, it's totally random, only happened twice, and doesn't seem like it's part of the truck.

I'll be happy as long as I'm just not going insane

Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 AM
boopadoopa
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few years ago I had a Dakota and I would hear a slight beep every so often. One day while pulling out of a parking spot I had the radio off I heard it really faint. Turns out is in the door. A slight beep would be heard right before my doors locked when driving . Most times I wouldn't hear it due to the radio but with out it I would hear it all the time once i located it. You aren't going crazy

Old 12-18-2012, 10:26 AM
mitchn06

ive heard it in mine before multiple times. pulled over to check my phone even and nothing!?!? i havn't heard it in several weeks though. had me wondering also, but not enough to curiosity to investigate.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:53 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

I don't use my radio right now because two of the speakers are blown and I haven't removed them yet, so I know it doesn't happen every time.

Suddenly others hear this? Has Dodge put in some kind of "phone home" command....now our trucks are going to start transforming and taking over the world (ok I might be going a LITTLE crazy)

Now I want to know what it is, but boopa may be right, it could be related to the doors locking.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 AM
mitchn06

i kinda always heard it when i reached the 15mph mark and the doors locked, at that time is when i heard the beep.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:57 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's the door lock solenoids when they auto-lock. Every once in a while mine will beep but not always.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:22 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Never heard it in my dad's truck. And the radio is never on either. lol

Old 12-20-2012, 04:48 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR
I know all about the dings it makes for various warnings but does anything inside make a quiet beep noise??

On two separate occasions I've heard a single, quiet beep that doesn't seem to relate to any specific event except that I think it happens just as I drive away after shifting out of park.... but that may not even have anything to do with it.

I'd really just like to know what it is I'm hearing, it's totally random, only happened twice, and doesn't seem like it's part of the truck.

I'll be happy as long as I'm just not going insane

GRNDPNDR,

A beep or a chime should only come on if seat belts aren't on, oil change indicator light comes on, engine light comes on, etc. and in those cases a light or message will appear on your dashboard.

When the doors lock after driving you are able to hear them lock, however there is not a beep.

If you continue to hear the beep and there is no message why, I would recommend contacting your local Dodge dealer for further review.

If you have any additional inquiries feel free to PM me.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:36 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is absolutely a beep.. its almost like a cell phone going dead type beep, but very faint.. mine was definitely behind the dash, and left of center around the steering column..

It sounds like what is is, actually, which is a diode on a circuit board.. it never caused me any grief so I never bothered tearing anything down to find it, but it should be easy to narrow down identifying it as a diode, because there aren't that many circuit boards in that area..

In all fairness, mine may have been coming from a brake controller mounted next to my obdii port.. it is without any doubt, though, coming from a circuit board.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:25 PM
vietti
Amateur

Disconnect the chimer mechanism and see if it still does it.

Quick Reply: Do our trucks "beep"?