3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

running lights and parking lights will not turn off!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 02:29 PM
tedberchtold
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running lights and parking lights will not turn off!

i have a 2004 dodge 2500 slt. i made a trip for the holidays to columbus ohio about a 600 mile round trip close to 4 hours one way. about 4 hours after returning home my wife noticed my parking and roof top lights were on in the driveway so i headed out figuring i left them on but when i checked the switch everything was off! i turned the truck on and off still nothing and of course fiddled with the switch many times to no avail!!!
drove the store and back still no luck!
last night i had to remove fuse #32 and #34 the left and right parking lamp fuse to get everything off!
any advice here? figure something happened along the road trip just not sure how to trouble shoot it?
thanks a bunch guy's.

Last edited by tedberchtold; 01-01-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 PM
tedberchtold
Rookie

so a bit of an update!
after trying a bit of research i went out and disconnected the neg terminal for about 20 or 30 minutes went out and started the truck up but no dice on the lights going off.
so i tried disconnecting the neg terminal while the truck was running and the truck turned off! but the gauge on the dash shows the truck is charging just fine! hope this helps.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:06 PM
tedberchtold
Rookie

one more update:
after a trip to the local auto parts store i have found out that the alternator and the battery are both in working condition!
since arriving back home i have disconnected both terminals and i am leaving it set for now.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Light switch.

If it's unplugged the lights default to a "safe" state, IE, being always on.

Your switch could be broken, shorted, dirty, unplugged etc. You also shouldn't have to worry about it killing the battery as the truck load sheds, meaning it will shut off the lights after 15 mins of the ignition being off.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR
Light switch.
You also shouldn't have to worry about it killing the battery as the truck load sheds, meaning it will shut off the lights after 15 mins of the ignition being off.
Uh, poster said it was 4 hours after returning home, and lights were still on.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:08 AM
tedberchtold
Rookie

Thanks for the advice I don't know why I didn't think of checking the switch? A coworker even mentioned it this morning.
My wife claims that she didn't notice the lights on the first time she looked out. So they may have just "come on" at some point. Seems fishy to me though

Last edited by tedberchtold; 01-02-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 AM
kenneymc
Veteran
Old 01-02-2013, 12:27 PM
tedberchtold
Rookie

Originally Posted by kenneymc
thanks a bunch! after reading through the thread it appears that his problem and mine are absolutely identical!
i am just hoping that if i tear into my fuse box that i can solve mine with just a couple coats of lacquer like he did!!
its only going to be in the mid 20's for the next few days and i dont have an inside space to do this so i am hoping it isnt a long job to get the board out??
with having to drill the tabs and whatnot it sounds intensive!

Old 01-02-2013, 06:50 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

Yeah, didn't sound hard just time consuming. And without a garage or something with your temps, all I can say is good luck. Hope all works out for ya.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Kscha41
Professional

Originally Posted by tedberchtold
thanks a bunch! after reading through the thread it appears that his problem and mine are absolutely identical!
i am just hoping that if i tear into my fuse box that i can solve mine with just a couple coats of lacquer like he did!!
its only going to be in the mid 20's for the next few days and i dont have an inside space to do this so i am hoping it isnt a long job to get the board out??
with having to drill the tabs and whatnot it sounds intensive!
If I remember correctly, I pulled mine out in October and I did it outside. I know there was at least one bolt, maybe two and the whole thing slide one way. At that point, you disconnect all the wires underneith and bring the fuse box inside wheres its warm. It really is not hard to drill out the plastic weld tabs and get it apart. When mine went bad, the truck would not shut off the lights after 20 mins or so. They would stay on till the battery died. If you need more help, just let me know.

Quick Reply: running lights and parking lights will not turn off!