3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 doesn't run quite right

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 05:52 PM
mike_r
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 doesn't run quite right

Hello all, it's been awhile since i've been on, but I'm been busy with college and all. Anyways, a few hours ago I had my first major problem with the ram. It just shut down when I came to a stoplight about 3000 feet from my place. Long story short, got it back to my place and checked a few things.

It has good fuel pressure, I hear the pump, it squirts out when i hit the valve.
Air filter is not clogged, throttle body is pretty clean, it moves freely.
There are no codes.
Won't restart unless your foot is on the gas.
Won't run less than 2k rpm.
Has very little power even at 4k rpm.
I put the stock tune back on, it's been on performance ever since i've had it.

It started and ran perfect up until now. Didn't notice anything weird during the last "good" start. There was no loud clunk, no banging, it just died when it did. There is about 1/4 of a tank of fuel in it that's about 2 weeks old. Didn't have a problem with the rest of the tank.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as i'm out of ideas at this point. My next step will be to check compression.
Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-11-2013, 05:55 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

What engine. mileage?

Old 01-11-2013, 05:56 PM
mike_r
Professional

2004 5.7 120k miles

Old 01-11-2013, 08:13 PM
mike_r
Professional

Can't get access to the compression tester until tomorrow. I pulled the a plug from the front 4 cylinders and they are all golden brown. There seems to be quite a few threads on this already, but I do not see a definite solution.
Would changing out the crank sensor help?
Do these engines have cam sensors on them?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Do you have a CEL light on? It could have been a fluke?

Old 01-12-2013, 01:08 AM
mike_r
Professional

No lights. No codes on the superchips.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:14 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Pull your valve covers and one plug from each cylinder, rotate the engine by hand slowly and watch each valve move up and down and make sure each spring is not broken

Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 PM
mike_r
Professional

So I did some digging today, and I saw some weird stuff happening on the super chips today. I started probing the throttle body. Now according to the manual, there are 2 sensors in it. The from what I know about automotive and safety, this is because the 2 sensors need to be inverted. The trace would look like the trace image that I attached as you slowly open the throttle plate. I probed pins 1 and 4, and on 4 I got a 4.5-.5 volt reading depending on how far I opened it. I'd assume that the other sensor should read .5-4.5 as I slowly open it. I get a steady 0 across the board. That would make sense to why it's not tripping a CEL. I was wondering if somebody could go check their pin 1 and 4 on their throttle body to make sure i'm on track before I spend money on a new throttle body. I used a multimeter and paperclips to get into the holes. You only need 1 paper clip and then ground the other lead.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 doesn't run quite right-pinout.jpg   2004 doesn't run quite right-trace.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2004 doesn't run quite right