3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chrome Facade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chrome Facade?

I found a GREAT deal on some 20" chrome wheels for my 1998 Ram. I have been wanting these Gen3 wheels since I got the truck and have been watching Craigslist. So Tuesday, for a 1.5 hour drive and a couple hundred I brought these home.

I started wiping them down when I got them home, and found that they are not really chrome wheels at all, but instead a chrome plastic facade over what I assume is an aluminum version of the same wheel that I see on the road.

My question is, is this normal? Are all the chrome versions of this wheel this fake plastic facade, or are there actual chrome wheels on the road, along with the aluminum finish?

I just want to know if I got ripped off by buying when I thought were actual chrome wheels.

Attached Thumbnails Chrome Facade?-kgrhqfhjc0fczljusm0bqvtv-4-u-60_35.jpg  
Old 02-16-2013, 01:00 PM
KasperR34
All Star

No they all are like that buddy

Old 02-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by KasperR34
No they all are like that buddy

Thanks that does actually make me feel better.

Also brings up two questions...

...can the plastic chrome facade be bought separate, to replace the ones that are on the wheels, in case they get scratched up and scuffed?

...and do they look like the aluminum version under the plastic cover...in case I ever want to go with the aluminum look?

Thanks.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:17 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sooper
Thanks that does actually make me feel better.

Also brings up two questions...

...can the plastic chrome facade be bought separate, to replace the ones that are on the wheels, in case they get scratched up and scuffed?

...and do they look like the aluminum version under the plastic cover...in case I ever want to go with the aluminum look?

Thanks.

...No
...No, they are a rough cast molding that have areas to hold on the covers.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Sooper
Captain

Okay well thanks for the info guys.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:18 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Also known as "chrome clad" when you look at the build/window sheet. I recall a lot of people being miffed about these when they first started getting put on the old daisies.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:51 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

GM started this on the Pontiac line-up back in the late 90's. Grand Ams I believe were the first one's to get them. The Chrome clad became a big hit amongst all Auto makers and has gained popularity over the last 15yrs. They are Much cheaper to produce than a real chrome finish and they are flashier than powdercoat. i remember when they first came out, not even the Dealers realized they were plastic covers. Us tech's had to point it out to the sales guys because they were not aware.

Last edited by dirtydog; 02-17-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 AM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by dirtydog
GM started this on the Pontiac line-up back in the late 90's. Grand Ams I believe were the first one's to get them. The Chrome clad became a big hit amongst all Auto makers and has gained popularity over the last 15yrs. They are Much cheaper to produce than a real chrome finish and they are flashier than powdercoat. i remember when they first came out, not even the Dealers realized they were plastic covers. Us tech's had to point it out to the sales guys because they were not aware.

I had a feeling that was the case. The guy who sold them to me had no idea and they were on his frig'n truck. I truly wonder how many owners with these chrome clad wheels have no idea it's a plastic cover over an aluminum wheel.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've pointed it out to at least two people that I know of over time. One was satisfying because the individual was giving me grief for getting the "cheap aluminum" wheels instead of the "chrome wheels" like he had. If I recall, the brushed aluminum wheels were actually more expensive than the chrome clad, so I'm not sure what he thought he was talking about... The other person I was just explaining the differences to when I was shopping for my truck on the lot in '05.

Interesting history lesson DD. I had not heard of the practice before I was researching on buying this truck in 2005, but I never had any real reason to look that close into it before on any other vehicle.

Quick Reply: Chrome Facade?