3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MDS v8 to 4cyl

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 10:21 PM
BigSloth
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adamj546
I was always told the 06 mega cab didn't have mds and the 07 and on does. I can confirm though that the 06 does mds. Or at least I assume as I will be driving at 60 mph and rpm sitting around 1800 and then will drop to about 1000 while just cruising.

Oil doesn't have anything to do the cylinders that are shut down but more with the cylinders that are still firing. The wrong oil in the engine will change the resistance of the piston against the cylinder wall and if the resistance increases requiring more force to lift the cylinder then it will delay the or prevent mds from kicking in.
According to Alldata, no 2500s in the 06+ have MDS. Since all mega cabs are built on a 2500 chassis, they do not have MDS. Also, that drop in RPM is TCC lockup or overdrive, MDS doesnt cause a drop in RPM, it causes a slight rise by around 100RPM actually since the engine needs to rev a little higher as a 4 cylinder to maintain speed.

Not quite, the oil viscosity problem is actually due to the way the MDS lifters work. They are cycled on and off using oil pressure controlled by a solenoid, They sort of disconect the top half from the bottom when the cylinders are deactivated. Using the wrong viscosity oil causes the oil pressure to be different, and it causes problems with the solenoid and lifters.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Correct, The RPM decreases when cruising at highway speeds because of the Over Drive feature on our transmissions, this decreased rolling resistance within the transmission/driveline and reduces RPM and load in order to improve Fuel Economy.

If you turn on tow haul/OD Off then you will see a very large decline in Fuel Economy when on the highway.

BigSloth is also correct as far as the end users have determined. regarding the oil and the solenoids/valves, but without combustion, the 5w-30 (or 10w-30) can still cause cylinder wall issues on the cylinders that are not firing. Dodge basically states that using the wrong oil may cause the engine and MDS system not to function properly, but they haven't officially stated what components are affected in any document that I can find.

So we will just have to take Dodge's word on the matter of Oil.

Not a single Mega Cab Dodge Ram has MDS, if you look at any build sheet of a Mega Cab Ram from 2006+ not a single one has MDS. There are threads that swear they have it on their Mega Cab Ram, but it is usually just misconception of the Over Drive kicking in.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:52 PM
adamj546
Rookie

Thanks for the info I was taking a stab in the dark at it as i have very little knowledge on how the mds actually works or what it involves but just thru out what sounded logical. Though I am requesting a build sheet to see what my truck came with from the factory since I just got it.

As far as mds i have heard mixed things about it on mega cab from both sources at dodge and random internet databases.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by adamj546
Thanks for the info I was taking a stab in the dark at it as i have very little knowledge on how the mds actually works or what it involves but just thru out what sounded logical. Though I am requesting a build sheet to see what my truck came with from the factory since I just got it.

As far as mds i have heard mixed things about it on mega cab from both sources at dodge and random internet databases.

well I'm telling you that not a single Mega Cab came off the MFG line with MDS... but your build sheet will confirm it, no worries.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:10 PM
BigSloth
Professional

I just remembered the OP's original thread about his speedometer not working, and replacing his ABS sensor in the rear diff, then finding the LF hub ABS plug unplugged, and speedo still doesnt work.

I'm not sure of how the MDS decides when to turn on aside from when its at steady throttle, but I would imagine it needs a speed signal from the vehicle to engage. If his speedo is not working, its likely that whatever fault is causing the lack of speed signal is also responsible for the MDS hiatus.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Izero
Champion

I thought he fixed the speedo issue no?

Old 03-12-2013, 02:05 PM
RamLussier
Amateur

You think the LF hub's abs plug will have to do something with the speedo? Why i dont have any on my RF hub?

Old 03-12-2013, 09:17 PM
BigSloth
Professional

I don't think the front abs has any effect on the speedometer, I just meant whatever does give the signal to the speedometer might also be why the MDS isn't working

Quick Reply: MDS v8 to 4cyl