3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MDS v8 to 4cyl

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 06:03 AM
RamLussier
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MDS v8 to 4cyl

I've searched the forum a couple of time and I don't see my answer.
My 2007 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi stay in 8 cyl. I think there is a problem with my MDS. The truck suppose to drop on 4 cyl but he is not doing it anymore. Is there a sensor, a relay, a solenoid or something like that can be defect? Very expensive on gas right now.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:38 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are you driving it?
What size tires?

Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 PM
RamLussier
Amateur

I have stock 17 inch aluminium on it. I drive it normally...

Old 03-07-2013, 12:21 PM
broggyr
Professional

Originally Posted by RamLussier
I have stock 17 inch aluminium on it. I drive it normally...
Now that we know what size wheels you have, what size tires do you have?
If they are larger than stock, this may cause less MDS activation (just another piece of the puzzle)

Last edited by broggyr; 03-07-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:27 PM
RamLussier
Amateur

Sorry i think its 265 60 17... Im not sure I will have a look when I get home.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:41 PM
broggyr
Professional

That is very close to stock - mine are 265/70R17. Either way, doesn't sound like tires are the issue unless they are under-inflated. How is the air pressure?

Old 03-07-2013, 12:42 PM
RamLussier
Amateur

35.. I checked them last week-end

Old 03-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bring it in to the dealer and have them give it a road test while logging it.

I know there were a whole bunch of MDS updates that Dodge made to the programming, so you might just need a re-flash on the system...

If you used a programmer you can expect to see less MDS activation too....

What other modifications have you done to your truck? (if any)

Old 03-07-2013, 02:34 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RamLussier
I've searched the forum a couple of time and I don't see my answer.
My 2007 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi stay in 8 cyl. I think there is a problem with my MDS. The truck suppose to drop on 4 cyl but he is not doing it anymore. Is there a sensor, a relay, a solenoid or something like that can be defect? Very expensive on gas right now.

Are you using the recommended oil viscosity?

SAE VISCOSITY

An SAE viscosity grade is used to specify the viscosity of engine oil. Use only engine oils with multiple viscosities such as 5W-20 or 5W-30. These are specified with a dual SAE viscosity grade which indicates the cold-to-hot temperature viscosity range. Select an engine oil that is best suited to your particular temperature range and variation. For 3.7L/4.7L engines SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating temperatures. For 5.7L engines SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating temperatures.These engine oils improve low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for the recommended engine oil viscosity for your vehicle. Vehicles with 5.7L engines equipped with Multiple Displacement System (MDS) must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the Multiple Displacement System (MDS). Refer to Multi Displacement System under Starting and Operating for details. Refer to the engine oil filler cap for the recommened engine oil viscosity for each vehicle.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Are you using the recommended oil viscosity?

SAE VISCOSITY

An SAE viscosity grade is used to specify the viscosity of engine oil. Use only engine oils with multiple viscosities such as 5W-20 or 5W-30. These are specified with a dual SAE viscosity grade which indicates the cold-to-hot temperature viscosity range. Select an engine oil that is best suited to your particular temperature range and variation. For 3.7L/4.7L engines SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating temperatures. For 5.7L engines SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating temperatures.These engine oils improve low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for the recommended engine oil viscosity for your vehicle. Vehicles with 5.7L engines equipped with Multiple Displacement System (MDS) must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the Multiple Displacement System (MDS). Refer to Multi Displacement System under Starting and Operating for details. Refer to the engine oil filler cap for the recommened engine oil viscosity for each vehicle.

Good point there buddy, I didn't even think about the engine oil! Nice Call!

Quick Reply: MDS v8 to 4cyl