3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Violent shaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 AM
dodgeram0328
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Violent shaking

2007 dodge ram 1500 2wd. I have owned this truck for a year and have had shaking at 60mph to 75mph since I bought it. Had it in to dodge while under warranty and they said nothing is wrong. Took it to my mechanic and he could not find anything wrong but tires dodge put on were pretty bad (only 20k mi on them) so he said to get new ones first. Took it to az driveshaft and differential and they said it was for sure my tires. Got new tires put on and shakes worst than before and pulls to the right hard. Got my alignment done a month before new tires and truck drove straight for miles. Now it pulls. Took it back in to have balance checked and they were good. Right rear has bunch of weight and they said was hopping a little. Rotated tire on rim 180 degrees and rebalanced and still shook. Put new wheels on and still shakes. I have no idea what is wrong and no mechanic can figure it out. Shocks are good along with all suspension in front. Wheel bearings are good. Nothing can be found in rear end. Any ideas?! Please help! This is driving me crazy!

Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have they checked the front brakes?

My dad's truck did this on and off for a little while, turned out the right front brake caliper was sticking. Annnnd then finally gave out and locked up and completely torched the rotor.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it shake when you are driving straight only? or when you turn the wheel slightly? Or all the time?

What speed does it start to shake at?

I would have the brake rotors checked, then have all of the tie-rod ends replaced get it aligned again, if it was still shaking then I would look at U-Joints, as well as the drive shaft and then the transmission and transfer case.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:12 PM
dodgeram0328
Rookie

Shaking starts at 60 and stops at 75. Shaking seems like it is coming more from the rear. I have not checked the rotors but I didn't think it was that because I am not getting pulsing in the petal. Shaking is not constant though. It will start shaking violently and then stop for 30 seconds to a minute And then start again. Sometimes it will do it the whole drive. It does seem like curves set it off if it is not shaking at the time. Pretty much only thing I have not checked is the balance of the driveshaft. I hopefully tomorrow will be able to drop it off at my mechanic and see if he can find anything. Also have him drop the driveshaft and send it in.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Izero
Champion

That is odd, but it sounds like something is up with the driveshaft... If it is worse around curves I would be suspicious of the rear diff and u-joints, as well as the tie rod ends.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:24 PM
dodgeram0328
Rookie

Ya it's weird. Especially since no one has any idea as to what it is. Well I will tell my mechanic to drop the driveshaft and send it in and have him check u joints and tie rod ends. I appreciate the input. I was thinking driveshaft so it's good to have other people agreeing. I will keep you updated on what we figure out.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Izero
Champion

sounds good.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:32 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeram0328
2007 dodge ram 1500 2wd. I have owned this truck for a year and have had shaking at 60mph to 75mph since I bought it. Had it in to dodge while under warranty and they said nothing is wrong. Took it to my mechanic and he could not find anything wrong but tires dodge put on were pretty bad (only 20k mi on them) so he said to get new ones first. Took it to az driveshaft and differential and they said it was for sure my tires. Got new tires put on and shakes worst than before and pulls to the right hard. Got my alignment done a month before new tires and truck drove straight for miles. Now it pulls. Took it back in to have balance checked and they were good. Right rear has bunch of weight and they said was hopping a little. Rotated tire on rim 180 degrees and rebalanced and still shook. Put new wheels on and still shakes. I have no idea what is wrong and no mechanic can figure it out. Shocks are good along with all suspension in front. Wheel bearings are good. Nothing can be found in rear end. Any ideas?! Please help! This is driving me crazy!

Does the vehicle have a manual transmission by chance? If so there was a recall on some of them for the propeller shaft yoke. If it is a manual PM me the vin and I will check if it fits the recall criteria.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:29 PM
dodgeram0328
Rookie

Oh sorry, no it's automatic

Old 03-07-2013, 05:29 PM
scwpd
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you had the rims them selves checked

Quick Reply: Violent shaking