3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 Ram thumping, vibration feeling in floor and gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 01:16 PM
EVANSARCHERY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Ram thumping, vibration feeling in floor and gas pedal

Hi, new to the forum. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi, Quad Cab 4WD.

I have searched on this topic and I know it has been discussed but I haven't found any definitive answers on this issue. When I get up to around 35-40 mph I get a vibration feeling in the gas pedal, more like a thump, thump, thump type feeling and it seems worse when i turn the steering wheel to the right. There is no noise associated with it that I can hear. I have had 2 mechanics look at the truck and neither can pinpoint the problem. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 05-23-2013, 01:39 PM
BigSloth
Professional

Can you feel it in the steering wheel? Does it change frequency or sound with speed changes?

Old 05-23-2013, 01:58 PM
EVANSARCHERY

Yes slightly in the steering wheel and it does change somewhat with the speed. I can't feel anything below 30 mph for the most part.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:17 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Wheel bearing?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:17 PM
jwleonard
Rookie

I have a 2006 1500 Mega Cab that is doing the same exact thing. I just changed the front wheel bearings (entire hub assy on mine) two days ago and now the only clunks I'm getting are in the pedals also. I don't feel it in the steering anymore and I certainly have more control of the truck now. When I raised the front of the truck to check for that I touched the front tires and they moved alot and in all directions (up/down & left/right) they were absolutely shot. I am embarrassed I didn't already catch the bearing issue before now but I have only had the truck about 2 months. Sounds like you may want to check that to start with.

I am assuming yours isn't a Mega Cab 1500 or 2500/3500 or you would have posted that additional info, please correct me if I'm wrong. If that is the case then the front axles on our trucks are massively different. There can't be that many similar parts between my solid axle and your IFS. Maybe engine related, is your the 5.7 Hemi?

The clunks in mine aren't really felt in the floor, even around the pedals or in the steering anymore (it was before the hubs). The pedals are really the only place now. I have noticed mine is worse after driving it a bit than when it is cold. I'm wondering if maybe it is the motor mounts due to you having the same issue with what I believe is a different frame/suspension and my noticing the change with heat. I will look into that as soon as I get time and report back.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:10 AM
rought
Professional

could be posi clips on the rear end.. i think 06 is the last year with that issue.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:51 AM
EVANSARCHERY

Thanks guys for the replies!

Yesterday I took the truck out and locked in the 4WD and drove it some on back roads with curves just to see if I could feel any difference. When I got back on the highway the vibration/rumble feeling in the gas pedal was almost not noticable. However, getting off on the exit ramp there is a hard right turn and I could definitely feel the thump thump thump from the left wheel area. Should I replace the wheel bearing/hub assembly there for starters?

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:30 AM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out your CV axle too. They make noises like that when turning.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:15 PM
jwleonard
Rookie

Just wondering if you have any updates on this; I still haven't figured mine out. I took a quick look at my motor mounts and also my shock mounts too. I didn't find anything but need to take a more thorough look before I declare them good.

Sorry I missed that you had included it was an 06 1500 5.7 QC 4X4 but that is what I was assuming.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:31 PM
EVANSARCHERY

No updates as of yet. From the research I have done I have decided to replace the driver's side CV axle and the driver's side hub assembly. I have it scheduled to be done tomorrow, I will post the results after that.

Quick Reply: 2006 Ram thumping, vibration feeling in floor and gas pedal