3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just found out I had the wrong spark plugs in my Ram 1500 Hemi for the past 30k!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 12:46 AM
ELMST
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just found out I had the wrong spark plugs in my Ram 1500 Hemi for the past 30k!!

So a mechanic friend of mine just did a tune up for me today. He found that NINE of the sixteen spark plugs were the wrong size! I don't remember exactly the name of the shop where the last tune up was done, but it was one of those express lube shops that was offering a special promotion on tune ups at the time.

I bought the truck from my brother who was the original owner. And just before he sold it to me he took it into this place to get a tune-up done as a nice gesture before he handed me the keys. So I wouldn't have noticed any significant change in performance since it was the first time I was driving the truck. Truck has been running fine though. And I've been averaging 11.5mpg around town, which I've read on this forum is common.

Is there any possible consequences that I should be looking out for? I can't believe I had the wrong plugs in there this whole time! The one on the right in the attached pic is one of the seven correct sizes.

Attached Thumbnails Just found out I had the wrong spark plugs in my Ram 1500 Hemi for the past 30k!!-spark-plugs.jpg  
Old 05-27-2013, 11:08 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 05-27-2013, 11:24 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I can think of would be excess carbon build up, which new plugs of the proper heat range and reach should take care of.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:17 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Just a different heat range. The shorter ones are a hotter plug.

Quick Reply: Just found out I had the wrong spark plugs in my Ram 1500 Hemi for the past 30k!!