3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cv axle help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Medic114
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cv axle help

Ok, so I'm trying to replace both cv axle's and I'm having issues disconnecting it from my diff. Everything I've read plus the youtube video I watched said I should be able to just use a pry bar to remove it. I've tried wd40 special rust eater stuff that is supposed to help. A friend recommended pb, so I'll try that. anyone have any ideas or am I stuck with just trying to muscle it out? I have an 03 ram 1500 hemi 4wd. Thank you for any help.

First time posting with phone so I think its in right forum sorry if its not.

Also if anyone lives around moody afb in south ga that might want to lend a hand would be appreciated

Old 06-02-2013, 03:01 PM
cam_toews3

I'm about to do mine i'm not sure what video you watched but heres the link to the one i'm thinking of.
I think i'm gonna do a video and take lots of pics of the stub shaft replacement because there is next to nothing on the net. Someone needs to get some pics from inside the pumpkin.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:50 PM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Small Sledge.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Medic114

that's the video i watched too. its annoying how easy he just pops it out with the pry bar.
when you do yours please let me know what worked.
as far as a small sledge goes....I did try hitting it with a hammer that the shop had and try to knock it loose then pry it off, but there isn't much room to just hit the axle off??? I also tried a ball joint separator to try and pry it off, even used a hammer on the pry bars...it just wouldn't budge.
what about removing the (wheel hub???) so you can just pull it straight out?
other than that is all im left to is to keep hitting it and prying at it till it gives?
thanks

Old 06-03-2013, 12:56 AM
cam_toews3

Won't be doing it for at least a week so hopefully u can either figure something out in the meantime or be super patient, you could always open the diff up and pull the stub shaft out with the cv aparently the passenger side tho binds into the bump stop, if not i guess keep loading the penetrating fluids on there and let em soak in real good.
I don't know if anyone has heard of fluid film but that stuff works wonders, i had my hitch locked for 3 years to my reciever, it was completely solid it took over an hr to get it out but it came with lots of spray and some love taps from the old hammer

Old 06-07-2013, 05:14 PM
kamicrazy99
Amateur

You don't have to open the diff to get the stub shaft out. It will pop the clip and come out on its own if your CV is siezed that badly onto the stub (ask me how I know that, haha). We had to heat mine up several times and hammer down on the CV with the stub in a vice 'till it let go, and it was only on the truck for 2 years... Damn salt on the roads...

Old 06-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Medic114

sorry for the noob question here, learning as i go.
just to clarify the stub shaft is the male adapter in the diff? and when you replaced your cv it pulled out the stub shaft from the diff? cause that sounds like what mine is doing.
How long is the stub shaft? I'm assuming you have to take the whole wheel hub assembly off to get it out if your cv is seized to the stub shaft correct?
then you just basically muscled it out with heat and vice grips and hammer?
if thats the case at least now i have a better understanding and know what to do.
thank you

Old 06-08-2013, 06:58 AM
kamicrazy99
Amateur

Yes, that's the stub shaft... not long at all, just long enough to go from the diff to the inner CV. Yup, thats what happened, the clip in the diff gave before the one in the CV, and the stub came out oif the diff.
No, we didn't have to remove the hub, just removed the lower ball joint bolt and shock from the steering knuckle to pivot it up out of the way if I remember correctly. Keep in mind I've got a lift though, more room to work in there. I've heard that the bump stop may get in the way on stock trucks.
We just used a pry bar, hammer and muscle.... the heat came after to seperate the stub and CV.
How long have your CVs been in? If it's been awhile, it may be worth pulling the diff cover like cam said above as a last resort...

Old 06-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Medic114

so i worked on it for a few hours today.... still cant get it out. I'll have to look into taking the diff cover off and pulling everything out that way.
I did remove the whole wheel assembly to try and pull it out then i found out that the bump stop was in the way and i couldn't pull it out.
as far as how long they have been on there, i have no idea... ive only owned the truck for a couple of weeks now and i got it from Pittsburgh area.
How hard is it to pull off the diff cover? also would a torch like they sell at autozone or lowes be good enough? how much heat would i need?

Old 06-09-2013, 05:30 AM
abarmby
Champion

Front diff cover is easy enough to take off. I've done mine more than a few times on my 03 4x4 1500.
On your 4X4, a few bolts at the top are a little tricky to get too with a wrench, but nothing impossible. get yourself a set of those ratchet ring keys. They work well in tight spots.
Can't help with your other questions.
Good luck with this.
Al.

Quick Reply: Cv axle help