3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel spacer help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 02:48 PM
HUNTER04DODGE
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel spacer help

I'm looking at buying wheel spacers after having my 285/75/17 toyo mt tires on for a few months. The tires just don't stick out as much as I would like them to and they look especially narrower since I installed bushwacker fender flares at the same time. I already have aftermarket wheels so I don't want to purchase another set. I would like the tires to stick out around 1-1.5" more to at least be somewhat even with the bushwackers. Are wheels spacers safe especially when they're 1-1.5"? What brands would you recommend? Any suggestions, ideas, or opinions are more than welcome. Thanks for the help!!

Old 06-06-2013, 01:34 PM
HUNTER04DODGE
Rookie

Anyone have any info opinions or recommendations on these wheel spacers?

Old 06-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wheel Spacers are dangerous if you don't do it right... and even when you do they can be dangerous still... and it puts excessive stress on your wheel bearings, so be ready for some repairs in the near future.

You will need extended Wheel Studs in order to make this safe.

Personally I'd do the math and get new wheels that have a different offset than stock, and then put a wider tire on.

Either way you will stress out those wheel bearings.

Fender Flares are meant to keep the dirt that the tires kick up when turning inside the wheel wells and keep your paint in good shape... so be ready for some scratches when you kick up some rocks and road debris from time to time.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:23 PM
HUNTER04DODGE
Rookie

Any suggestions on which ones to buy? New wheels and tires really aren't an option since i just bought new ones. I just never realized how skinny the bushwackers would make my tires look

Old 06-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Izero
Champion

which ones what to buy? Which wheel spacers? No I don't even consider wheel spacers an option on my vehicles.

As for extended Wheel Studs.. you can usually get them from JEGS or find them online somewhere... just make sure they are from a reputable brand (meaning NOT EBAY!)

Old 06-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Got_Mitch
Professional

Even getting different rims with an more noticeable offset isn't good your the wheel bearings. If you think of it. These high offset rims are doing the same thing a wheel spacer does. 0 offset means. rim bolts up to hub right in the middle of the rim. Thus equal forces on the "push and pull". Now add a 1 inch off set to the rim. Is just like a 1 inch spacer. imagine this is your trucks axels " /----\ " That's the extra forces your putting on those bearings with both high offset rim or wheel spacers.

Id stay away from both. If you really want to get your tires to stick more out. you'll need 12.5 inch wide tires. and bigger rims. Thus chipping your paint away that much easier, and increasing rotational mass, increasing drivetrain load, and lowering fuel economy.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by Got_Mitch
Even getting different rims with an more noticeable offset isn't good your the wheel bearings. If you think of it. These high offset rims are doing the same thing a wheel spacer does. 0 offset means. rim bolts up to hub right in the middle of the rim. Thus equal forces on the "push and pull". Now add a 1 inch off set to the rim. Is just like a 1 inch spacer. imagine this is your trucks axels " /----\ " That's the extra forces your putting on those bearings with both high offset rim or wheel spacers.

Id stay away from both. If you really want to get your tires to stick more out. you'll need 12.5 inch wide tires. and bigger rims. Thus chipping your paint away that much easier, and increasing rotational mass, increasing drivetrain load, and lowering fuel economy.
That's the long version of what I said...

Old 06-08-2013, 12:38 AM
Got_Mitch
Professional

Not really.................

Old 06-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Izero
Champion

lol go read the first line of my post above.. yeah really... I just didn't go into the detail about what "offset" really is.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:59 AM
4.7Ram
Rookie

i have 2inch wheel spacers on mine, have had them on for awhile with stock rims, looks good, rides fine and i got mine at a offroad shop intown but yes make sure they have the longer studs, you drive with em on for about 100 miles then take the tire off re tourqe them with alil locktight and youll be fine, BUT if you like to do seriouse offroad, i wouldnt get em

Quick Reply: Wheel spacer help