3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Serious problems, P0304/P0306, Expanded rad.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 11:16 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Serious problems, P0304/P0306, Expanded rad.

My truck is slowly dying, and I'm certain one day soon it'll just give/blow up on me.

So heres what's going on.

First of all, my rad is bowed out, severely on the bottom, a little bit on the top. A few of the flat cooling channels are not completely round and pipe-like. At this point I'm going to call it a head gasket, because there is no way for that much pressure to build up in the cooling system.

Even if I could replace the rad, this'll probably happen again, so I just thought I would share that little tidbit with you.

Now to the actual problems that I MIGHT be able to fix, or afford to fix.

Prior to the serious problems my truck would "chime" at random times, sometimes going over bumps, sometimes just because. it would chime once, or it would chime multiple times in succession. Every time its a "random" chime, or random "pattern" of chimes.

The truck was running fine (as much as it can be anyway) I went about my daily routines and came home.

The next day, I start my truck it runs rough and wants to stall out, or nearly stall out when I come to a stop.

I check the codes, its a cylinder 4 misfire. So I swap #4 and #2 coil packs. It still happens. I replaced #4 spark plug. It still happens.

The spark plug, however, looks full of carbon deposits.... like it's all black as if SOMETHING is burning, just not completely.

Now as of about 2 days ago, #6 started to misfire and the truck is barely drivable now.

So, what would cause #4 to start misfiring, and having a carbon fouled plug, then further cause #6 to start misfiring?

The MIL flashes quite a bit so i assume my cat is being damaged as a result.

Summary:

Swapped #4 and #2 coil packs. #4 still misfires. spark plug is carbon fouled.
Changed #4 spark plug. Still misfires.
Suddenly #6 begins misfiring.

Where can I start looking to fix the misfires?

Last edited by GRNDPNDR; 07-02-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Compression Test then do a Leak Down test..... that will determine if you have engine failure.

Coolant Pressure can build up if your radiator is restricting flow, or there is buildup somewhere causing a restriction.

They make coolant cleaners that you can run through the system and then flush out everything and change your coolant, but it's an involved process.

I would start with the compression and leak down and see where your motor is at.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:56 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by Izero
Compression Test then do a Leak Down test..... that will determine if you have engine failure.

Coolant Pressure can build up if your radiator is restricting flow, or there is buildup somewhere causing a restriction.

They make coolant cleaners that you can run through the system and then flush out everything and change your coolant, but it's an involved process.

I would start with the compression and leak down and see where your motor is at.

ya...not likely the rad is getting fixed. I can't afford all these tests, and every time ive called a place asking about a compression/leak down test they dont seem to have any freakin idea what it is.

Besides that I can smell exhaust in the coolant tank.

So, forgetting the rad, I'm more concerned about the misfire problem.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Izero
Champion

So do it yourself...

There are tool kits in Sears... just make sure it comes with an adapter that will fit your engine.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:46 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

So do it yourself...

There are tool kits in Sears... just make sure it comes with an adapter that will fit your engine.

toolkits cost money that I, without a job, cannot afford.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Izero
Champion

Step 1. Get Job

Step 2. Buy Tools

Step 3. Fix Truck

:-P

You can do it bro.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:30 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Step 1. Get Job

Step 2. Buy Tools

Step 3. Fix Truck

:-P

You can do it bro.
I've been trying to get a job since i graduated school in jan. It seems most of my other classmates have gotten jobs, and they were far less knowledgable than I..... so at this point i'm seriously just WTF'ing

Anyway, I now have a P0300 and P0306 code, but it has been changing between Cylinders #3, 4, 5, 6

and I also now I have a P0172 (Bank 1 too rich)

So I have no clue what the hell is going on with the truck anymore, but it's barely drivable.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR
I've been trying to get a job since i graduated school in jan. It seems most of my other classmates have gotten jobs, and they were far less knowledgable than I..... so at this point i'm seriously just WTF'ing

Anyway, I now have a P0300 and P0306 code, but it has been changing between Cylinders #3, 4, 5, 6

and I also now I have a P0172 (Bank 1 too rich)

So I have no clue what the hell is going on with the truck anymore, but it's barely drivable.
I gotta tell you, It's a bad idea to keep driving it as is right now.

If you have a friend with a Dodge Ram with the same motor as you, you might want to try swapping PCM's and see if that fixes the problem, because it kinda sounds like there is an issue with the Ignition system.

If the PCM swap doesn't fix anything then you might have some problems with the motor itself.

I vaguely remember you asking about bypassing the MDS... did you ever do that? If so, reverse whatever you did.

Also might want to try running the truck in Tow/Haul mode, as the MDS system could very well be malfunctioning too.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:55 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

I gotta tell you, It's a bad idea to keep driving it as is right now.

If you have a friend with a Dodge Ram with the same motor as you, you might want to try swapping PCM's and see if that fixes the problem, because it kinda sounds like there is an issue with the Ignition system.

If the PCM swap doesn't fix anything then you might have some problems with the motor itself.

I vaguely remember you asking about bypassing the MDS... did you ever do that? If so, reverse whatever you did.

Also might want to try running the truck in Tow/Haul mode, as the MDS system could very well be malfunctioning too.

I don't have the option of not driving it, so there isn't a whole lot I can do other than drive it until it finally quits.

Also, I don't have MDS and that wasn't me asking about it. I'm driving an '02 with the 4.7, and I don't know anybody with whom I could swap PCM's.

why would it just suddenly one day start running rich?

Old 07-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR
I don't have the option of not driving it, so there isn't a whole lot I can do other than drive it until it finally quits.

Also, I don't have MDS and that wasn't me asking about it. I'm driving an '02 with the 4.7, and I don't know anybody with whom I could swap PCM's.

why would it just suddenly one day start running rich?
Misfires can foul Oxygen Sensors, that is usually how that happens.

I am not sure what else to tell you right now, those DTCs point in a lot of different directions, and we've already eliminated the easiest ones.

You will really need to get a compression and/or leak down test done to make sure you haven't bent a rod, or spun a bearing.... or something else.

The compression test is really the only way we will know for sure what is going on inside of there.

I would contact Air Ram on here or at his website... he might be able to help you narrow this down better than I can, as I believe he is the 4.7L GURU....

http://www.airram.com/

Quick Reply: Serious problems, P0304/P0306, Expanded rad.