3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck won't move

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 02:24 AM
GabrielNestor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't move

A couple days ago, I got into my truck and went to drive away and all of the sudden I wasn't moving. The truck had a high pitch whine coming from under the truck. I can shift it into any gear and it sounds like it goes in but it just doesn't move. I'm trying to get ideas what it is and how I can fix it

Old 08-14-2013, 02:45 PM
1ATony
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GabrielNestor
A couple days ago, I got into my truck and went to drive away and all of the sudden I wasn't moving. The truck had a high pitch whine coming from under the truck. I can shift it into any gear and it sounds like it goes in but it just doesn't move. I'm trying to get ideas what it is and how I can fix it
If it feels like it's not going into gear, check the level of the transmission fluid according to the manufacturers recommendations.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:33 AM
GabrielNestor

Fluid is perfect not burnt, correct level doesn't look like anything is floating around in it

Old 08-15-2013, 08:05 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to DF.

Will move you to the correct section for better help. What model year of truck do you have?

Old 08-16-2013, 06:37 AM
GabrielNestor

jasondf

kinda new to the forum really don't know how to move posts but My truck is a 2005 5.7 liter Hemi Magnum Ram 1500.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:30 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

You can't move posts, but I can. No worries. Moving you now.

For future reference on where to post, please read this:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ead-first.html

Old 08-16-2013, 08:31 PM
bggdgg

My 2007 hemi does the same thing. If you give it enough gas it will start moving slowly. If you let it warm up for 30 seconds after starting it works fine. Might try letting it warm up a tad before putting in gear and see. I asked a mechanic about this and he had no idea other than to say the computer doesn't do its thing until motor warms up a little. Trade for a chevy also works. I've had 4 Dodge trucks in a row and been happy until this 2012 2500 hemi. What a piece of junk. Dodge has ran me off finally.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:34 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The computer doesn't do it's thing until the truck warms up? That's a crock. What bggdgg is experiencing is torque converter drain down. It causes no damage, you just have to wait a few seconds for the pump to fill it back up after start up. Takes maybe 10 seconds after starting. That may or may not be the OPs problem. It sounds like his trans won't engage at all.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:57 AM
bggdgg

Thanks for the reply 66. Is there an easy fix for the drain down?

Old 08-17-2013, 08:51 AM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bggdgg
My 2007 hemi does the same thing. If you give it enough gas it will start moving slowly. If you let it warm up for 30 seconds after starting it works fine. Might try letting it warm up a tad before putting in gear and see. I asked a mechanic about this and he had no idea other than to say the computer doesn't do its thing until motor warms up a little. Trade for a chevy also works. I've had 4 Dodge trucks in a row and been happy until this 2012 2500 hemi. What a piece of junk. Dodge has ran me off finally.
Trade for a Chevy ,I'd rather trade for a peice of junk ford before I'd ever touch a junker Chevy! I'd shoot myself in the foot before that happens!!!

Quick Reply: Truck won't move