3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

a/c control switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 AM
kevin-clarke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c control switch

I have cold a/c blowing very slowly, fan speed changer works, cold to hot switch works, but when i move my control switch to various selections, the air doesnt change. meaning, my air blows through the front vents but wont change to defrost, floor vents or anything. It also seems to only bring in outside air (when i'm behind a car with bad exhaust, i smell i terribly). Does this sound like a switch problem, or a recirc door issue?

Old 08-27-2013, 03:10 PM
abarmby
Champion

Recirc unfortunately.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:31 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

^^ probably

What year?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 AM
kevin-clarke

it is a 2006

Old 08-29-2013, 08:41 AM
uponone
Rookie

Sounds like your recirc door AND the door which directs the air from floor to dash to defrost. Your recirc door you can mess with without taking the dash off...the other door you'll have to pull the dash and the whole HVAC box to get at. I already went through this...twice. (once to change a leaky heater core, then again to change the doors). If you can live with just the dash vents working thats fine...but I needed defrost for cold winters/rainy summer days.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:45 AM
abarmby
Champion

Kevin-clarke.

Try this. This is the way I'm going for my door issues.

There's videos on "how to's" diagnosing which doors are defective and how to replace them. Plus parts which you can buy to effect the repair.

http://www.heatertreater.net/?gclid=...FfIPtAod0BcAGw

Al.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:10 PM
LoneWolfArcher
Professional

Originally Posted by kevin-clarke
I have cold a/c blowing very slowly, fan speed changer works, cold to hot switch works, but when i move my control switch to various selections, the air doesnt change. meaning, my air blows through the front vents but wont change to defrost, floor vents or anything. It also seems to only bring in outside air (when i'm behind a car with bad exhaust, i smell i terribly). Does this sound like a switch problem, or a recirc door issue?
When was the last time you changed you PCV valve? SOunds strange right?

Last week drove my truck, air worked great, but at night when it cooled off when I tried to run defrosters, vents at windshield wouldn't blow. All other settings worked but not defrost. Read a thread on here and a guy said he was having problems like this and fixed it by changing his PCV valve.

Monday I stop at O'Reilly's, get the last PCV valve they have in stock. An off brand $1.99 model. Pop my old one out and the thing is nasty, looks like the original! (Maybe it wasn't but it was bad.) Pop new one in, get in truck, turn on defroster: BAM! It works.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:26 PM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by LoneWolfArcher
When was the last time you changed you PCV valve? SOunds strange right?

Last week drove my truck, air worked great, but at night when it cooled off when I tried to run defrosters, vents at windshield wouldn't blow. All other settings worked but not defrost. Read a thread on here and a guy said he was having problems like this and fixed it by changing his PCV valve.

Monday I stop at O'Reilly's, get the last PCV valve they have in stock. An off brand $1.99 model. Pop my old one out and the thing is nasty, looks like the original! (Maybe it wasn't but it was bad.) Pop new one in, get in truck, turn on defroster: BAM! It works.
I call red herring (B.S) on that one. No way the PCV valve is associated with control of the venting system in these trucks????
Al.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:56 PM
LoneWolfArcher
Professional

Originally Posted by abarmby
I call red herring (B.S) on that one. No way the PCV valve is associated with control of the venting system in these trucks????
Al.
Maybe not in a 3rd gen. But in my 2nd gen it absolutely did.

See:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ild-vents.html

Old 08-29-2013, 02:35 PM
abarmby
Champion

Hmmmmmmm
Sorry.... Your right. I Could only reference this to the third gen.

Quick Reply: a/c control switch