3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 ram troubles

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 07:42 PM
admjr33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 ram troubles

have an 02 ram 4.7 1500 2wd. was told the heads were bad when i bought it. and the motor was burning coils everytime it was started, so first i replaced the computer, it stopped the coil burn, next the mechanic pulled the motor to remove the heads, said it was necessary. after breakdown of motor it turns out the secondary chain on the drivers side was broken, not a bad head. so i had the heads checked and redone since they were out, had the chains and oil pump replaced as well as the lifters and all the gaskets bolts etc..... now after all was reinstalled it runs smooth for a few minutes then goes crazy, running rough, sputtering and eventually shutting down, also after a few days of playing with this it burned 2 more coils, the mechanic says he rechecked the timing, cams and made sure there were no pinched wires that he can see, he swears the pcm is at fault, i just replaced this 2 yrs ago when i got the truck, but never drove it since it had motor troubles. just getting around to it now... any thoughts???

also... if i disconnect the battery and reconnect then the motor runs smooth again and starts all over again with the sputtering, rough idling etc.....

thanks
anthony

Last edited by admjr33; 12-03-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:13 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

Disconnecting then reconnecting the battery is resetting the PCM. Then PCM has to relearn, starts running rough. Is it throwing any codes? Check out the wiring and connections real well to the O2 sensors and PCM as well. Check battery under load, have it tested. Check battery connections.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:21 PM
admjr33

no codes, no check engine, brand new battery last week, had it tested today its ok, all other wires seem to be ok. mechanic keeps coming back to the pcm. guess im gonna have to bite the bullet and buy one

Old 12-04-2013, 04:31 PM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question. you replaced the computer ??? before!

did you have it programmed at the dealer... and updated at the dealer??????

just asking...

Old 12-05-2013, 09:29 AM
admjr33

Had it flashed. After installing it i found out you jave to do a vin install with a scanner. Might be the problem. Gonna do it today. But i alteady bought a new pcm so we will see

Old 12-05-2013, 06:57 PM
admjr33

went there tonight to see how he made out with the VIN scan... that went ok, but the scanner is now showing 3 bad coils... so he says, ,,, i think he is just guessing at it at this point.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:47 PM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of spark plug are you using? What kind coils are you replacing them with? I had a bad coil take out the PCM. If think you have a bad coil did you move them to a different cylinder to see if the misfire follows it.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:15 PM
admjr33

autolite platinum, i think the coils are bcd. i replaced them and #1 cylinder burned up after about 5 minutes of running. again. i really dont know what to do next. is there another computer that could be causing this. what is the computer mext to the pcm? is that the trans control computer or something else.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:19 PM
admjr33

ok, so tonite i had another mechanic look at it, he has a new snapon scanner, and after scanning it he came up with 3 codes, open coil circuits on cyl 1,4, & 7.
so after clearing the codes he ran motor again and got different cylinders with the same code. did it again and got 4 different cylinders. they changed after every code clear and start and scan. he seems to think the problem lies in the harness. maybe a short or broken wire . my question is this, is it easier and cheaper to just change the whole harness or try to find the bad wire. im about 2500 in so far and cant stop now when im this close.....

Old 12-10-2013, 07:09 PM
admjr33

please help....lol i dont know what else to do...............

Quick Reply: 02 ram troubles