3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cluster lights all on (like a Christmas tree!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:07 PM
bakerman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cluster lights all on (like a Christmas tree!)

Hi Fellas!

I am perfectly aware that I have an electrical issue with the seat belt and low washer fluid lights always on, but today they're ALL on - ABS, Emergency Brake, etc. But here's the REAL strange one: the miles indicated on the odometer have frozen! Anyone ever faced this one? Any ideas or feedback could really help me from getting $%^&-ed by a mechanic, because I sure ain't no electrical guy!

Thanks for any help. Cheers!

Old 01-09-2014, 01:33 PM
eightround

Hi there. My 03 ram 3500 is like that too, randomly lit up lights..dropping gauges. Ive been reading all over the internet about the problem.
1 Check all of your grounds between the body.
2 Do a cluster test (hold in the trip button and turn the key to ACC, the codes will appear in the odometer window).
3 Remove plug connectors to check for corrosion. Clean with contact cleaner and dry with compressed, add some dialectric grease and replace.

Anything im missing?

Old 01-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also might want to pull the fuse box of and check for corrosion that might be causing a short....

Other then that you might want to pull the cluster and check for a short on the harnesses/connections behind it...

Old 01-09-2014, 04:36 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

^^Ditto

I would estimate 90% of the crazy electrical problems on these trucks are due to corrosion on the underside of the fuse/relay panel. The rest are from bad ECU's and grounding issue's.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:54 PM
bakerman
Professional

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Here's a footnote to the complaints that I shared: Only today did I realize that not only is the odometer frozen (in my case, at 174141 mi.), but the speedometer needle itself STAYS AT ZERO despite the driving speed! (Can't believe I didn't pick up on that yesterday! Just shows you how carefully I watch my speed...) And furthermore, I tried to see how cruise control responds - lights up on the cluster, but in fact does not work. In short, anything related to speed and distance travelled is now out.

I'll refer to your ideas, and give 'em a try. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Relay/Fuse Box corrosion sounds exactly like what is going on here..... if not that then you've got a TIPM/FCM problem....

Old 01-11-2014, 12:31 PM
bakerman
Professional

And ONE MORE thing that I noticed last night after work (when already dark): Back-up lights not working (L-R), while bulbs and fuse are ok. Maybe something in the steering column? I'm gonna take a look under the fuse box tomorrow. What a @#$-ing mess...!

Old 01-13-2014, 01:35 AM
eightround

Well, after pulling everything apart and cleaning and greasing my connections, i found my problem. There is a ground strap on the drivers side from the motor to the body, and it had chaffed through the tape and was intermittently grounding out my bus line. Fixed it, taped it, put some loom on it and on the ground strap. Good to go now.

There is a metal bracket with two connectors right at the back of the block by the starter (mine is a 5.9 cummins). Sooo everyone if you are having dash issues (no bus etc) check this first. I didnt i had my whole dash pulled apart as i figured it was the aftermarket deck or the infinity amp. Did all my underhood connections, pcm, grid heater, batteries, fuse box, fcm etc first. lol so i hope this saves someone some time and aggravation.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:04 PM
bakerman
Professional

This is a VERY helpful comment! Thanks so much, man.

Quick Reply: cluster lights all on (like a Christmas tree!)