3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fluid Leaking from Rear Shock

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:13 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Buggsy
Don't wait too long to replace that shock. A bad shock will cause cupping in the tire.
How will a rear shock cup the tire? Please explain how this happens on a solid leafsprung axle.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:42 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynaugh
Its at the shop right now but not just for the shock, this just happened today:

2 pulleys are bad they said. Theres just no winning with me and this truck the past month lol.
If it's just the idler pulleys, they are $5.00 parts and a ten minute fix. I had the same thing happen to me last month, except I got stuck on the side of the autobahn when I was trying to make a flight at the airport. Good thing I left early! The idler pulley is a relatively normal issue. Apparently they are made of plastic from the factory and tend to grenade themselves (thus, shredding the belt) around 70K.

*EDIT* It might only be that one of the idler pulleys is truly "bad" (probably the lower), but it's only smart to replace the other while you are at it with the belt off, anyway.

Last edited by Chet Ubetcha; 05-13-2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:23 AM
chris65
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
How will a rear shock cup the tire? Please explain how this happens on a solid leafsprung axle.

The tire bounces-even with a solid leaf spring. That's what shocks are for.
Gimme some chips, please

Old 05-13-2014, 08:17 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris65
The tire bounces-even with a solid leaf spring. That's what shocks are for.
Gimme some chips, please
Bad shocks are detrimental to more than just tires. But yes bad shocks kill tires.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:02 AM
chris65
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RDuck
Bad shocks are detrimental to more than just tires. But yes bad shocks kill tires.
yeah- I left the part out, where shocks are responsible for:
severe stability loss (the faster the worse it gets)
breaking out in curves
longer brake way
higher force to all drive train and suspension components with damaging effect.( bearings, springs, brackets, mounts, body, drive shaft, transmission/axle/differential, etc...)
just to name some of them.
most people are not aware that 150 bucks for 2 shocks and 30 minutes invested manpower can prevent thousands of damage on the own vehicle and collateral damage (people, chehuahuas, squirrels, chicken, racoons-ok- I don't care about opossums, fences, trees, houses, other cars, etc...).
maybe if they know that they ran over the skunk because of the shocks is a wake up call...at least when the wife don't let you park in the garage after that...

Last edited by chris65; 05-13-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Fluid Leaking from Rear Shock