3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tech Ripped Me Off ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 11:37 AM
RJP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech Ripped Me Off ???

When my truck was new I put 35" tires on it, went directly to to the Dodge dealership and had them change the revolutions per mile so the speedo was accurate. Took him a few minutes in the lot, no charge, thank you.

I noticed the cruise would only work at speeds up to 100 km, I think it was like that since new with the stock tires but I can't say for sure. I only drive the truck on the highway about 4 times a year so no big deal. Drove it like that for years.

Well it went in for recall work and I asked if they could fix the cruise.

They charged me $204 labour... WTF ?

Tech notes :

Vehicle had larger tires installed than was programed- programed proper pinion factor, tire size and revolutions per mile into power control module. Verified cruise control operates normally now during road test.
$204 labour seems like I'm getting ripped off but I don't know. If I did get robbed I would like to know what to say to them, I have time to visit them tomorrow.

I thinks it's strange that the revolutions per mile would have to be changed in more than one place in the programing. Also why wouldn't the cruise work at the (wrong) rotations per mile?

It' pretty hard to argue the bill without knowing anything about programing the thing, any help would be great, thanks.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:56 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

What is the labor rate per hour and how many hours did the job take?

Old 08-31-2015, 12:03 PM
RJP

The bill doesn't say, I just called and the service line just goes to voicemail as usual.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:08 PM
RJP

The truck actually went in for recall work (air bag inflator and pinion nut lock) and I just tossed that extra request at them... booked that appointment 3 weeks in advance and they said they didn't have the parts for the recall work. Ya I know what your thinking but the next closest dealer is an hour away.

I got more stories...

Old 08-31-2015, 12:10 PM
RJP

Oh and I've been lurking on this site for awhile, great source of information.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:13 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Seems like you should have asked them at the time of service. What kind of dealer doesn't give you an itemized receipt?

Old 08-31-2015, 12:49 PM
RJP

Well since it only took 5 minutes to change the rotations per mile the first time I didn't expect a significant amount of labour to get the cruise working over 100 kmh.

I still think it's odd that that the rotations per mile would need to be changed in more than one place in the programing.

The money isn't the issue, I do not like being ripped off. My wife shuttled the truck back and forth so I haven't talked to them yet (they don't answer the phone) but I will be dropping the truck off tomorrow morning.

Idealy I would like a tech familiar with the programing to chime in and tell me if I've been taken for a ride.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:55 PM
RJP

Nobody? No Techs want to add something ?

Old 08-31-2015, 05:07 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

So the tech set the pinion factor for the tires. How far off was speedometer? And was the speed control working fine at the time before the changes?

Old 08-31-2015, 05:08 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

I know our shop has the recall parts for both the driver side air bag and the pinion nut.

Quick Reply: Tech Ripped Me Off ???