3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Accel or MSD ignition coil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:27 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accel or MSD ignition coil?

I think I have read most have the Accel coil who have them, who has the MSD coil? Thoughts on either? Trying to get things together for my tune up I want to do over Christmas.

What coil wires are you using? On Summit right now poking around. They have from 8mm-10.4mm in different types/brands. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Old 12-12-2015, 07:42 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you getting mis-fires? The OEM coil should be fine. I put MSD plug wires on my Hemi at ~120K.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

I am getting some issues at idle and when I first let off the brake and barely start to accelerate.. a shaking from the engine.. stutter almost..

I ordered:
  1. MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire Sets 32979
  2. MSD Blaster OEM Replacement Coil 8228
  3. Davis Unified Ignition Cap and Rotor Kits 35200RD
  4. NGK V-Power Spark Plugs ZFR6F-11
  5. wire separators and numbers also.. got a distribution hold down also.

Plan on doing a write up and video of the installs. I know this is pudding compared to other things you can do on a vehicle, but to some it might help out. I am new to Dodge so I know there are others that are also.. helps someone out then cool

Old 01-03-2016, 12:56 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

The factory unit ended up needing replacement, glad I decided to grab a new one. The iron core that is a squared circle that the wire is wound around the one side and mounted to the engine on the other side.. was delaminating. It was old and needed replaced.

I cannot believe how easy it was to pull the air cleaner box. WAY TO GO DODGE!

Old 01-03-2016, 02:25 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Relocate the coil and use a short coil wire. That coil wire running the entire length of the engine compartment has been an issue for these since the beginning. I use a coil wire from a 4.0L Jeep engine. I'll post a pic of mine later. I located my coil up by the firewall.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:58 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Originally Posted by TNtech
Relocate the coil and use a short coil wire. That coil wire running the entire length of the engine compartment has been an issue for these since the beginning. I use a coil wire from a 4.0L Jeep engine. I'll post a pic of mine later. I located my coil up by the firewall.
Hey now! That is an excellent idea! I still want to get the MSD ignition module to throw out more spark at lower RPM. I will address that later, gotta do brakes next, suspension/front end stuff/bushings.. then exhaust. That is after all the other stuff has been refreshed and I am on my second go round of the engine. I plan on doing the Victor Jr. Air Gap intake at that time. The truck is in better shape now she is with me, that's for sure. She was neglected a bit, body and cab were amazing but I think the previous owners cared more about looks than how she ran.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:33 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

I keep saying I'm gonna post these pics. I relocated the coil a long time ago to get rid of the mile long coil wire that runs the entire length of the engine all over the plug wires and wiring harness, that someone thought was a good idea. I used to use a 4.0L jeep coil wire, but they discontinued the single part. You can get one from MSD or wherever. You don't have to worry about coil wire induction nonsense anymore.

Just cut off as much of the coil pigtail that you can get to, find the coil primary wires in the main harness and splice into it with the pigtail piece. Find a couple tapping bolts and drill 2 smaller holes for them ...and done.

Attached Thumbnails Accel or MSD ignition coil?-20160219_172824.jpg   Accel or MSD ignition coil?-20160219_172853.jpg  

Last edited by TNtech; 02-25-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:08 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

badass! That makes sense about a shorter wire. I will pull my wire and wrap it with a radiant barrier sleeve to see if that could make any difference, the 8.5mm I know have a larger jacket on them.

More fun stuff I am dealing with, the light switch just went out on me.. having to unplug battery.. I am not-so-slowly rebuilding this damn truck already.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:14 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Haha now that I look at that second pick, I may have some arc tracking along that coil. Might be time a for a new one?

Quick Reply: Accel or MSD ignition coil?