3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brakes:Semi metallic vs. Ceramic

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 06:02 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP.
Having had all the differant types of brake rotors and pads etc In my experience if longevity is what your after, stick factory is best.
Ive had both slotted, dimpled, slotted and dimpled and just plain old solid rotors.
Also semi metalic and ceramic pads.
All from performance company's such as EBC and the like.
I will give you that ceramic dramatically decreases brake dust. But all my cearamics dont last any where near stock semi metalics.
None and I repeat NONE, stop me any quicker than stock that I could personally feel or see.
All that slotted and dimpled stuff was to allow 'out gassing' when the pads got hot to help stop fade. With modern pad materials and their improvements these days, thats apparently pretty much redundant as out gassing has reduced/dissapeared.
Far better to keep mass and weight in your rotors by keeping them solid so they can dissipate heat faster which is a performance enhancer.
Im afraid all this dimpled slotted and what ever have you, is a cleaver advertising gimick that manufacturers have latched onto to sell product.
No way a 3 ton truck needs crap like that.
As I say, just my humble opinion after have been suckered over my lifetime lol.
So my vote is stock or go Hydro boost. See moderator Weedahoe page for this.
Now those are brakes lol.
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 03-16-2016 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:21 AM
RamedHemi
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

185 shipped for a set of rotors and pads is cheap I think. I get at wholesale price though. Still someone off the street can get for 200. Especially when you get a warranty. Auto parts store quality is not holding up for me. Rotors starting to warp after a year.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:07 AM
Joe.G
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put on Power stop slotted and drilled rotors front and back with there towing pads. So far so good, clean no noise and good stopping power, I cant comment on how long they last yet. The kit I got was very complete. I got the slotted/drilled more for looks.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:09 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by RamedHemi
185 shipped for a set of rotors and pads is cheap I think. I get at wholesale price though. Still someone off the street can get for 200. Especially when you get a warranty. Auto parts store quality is not holding up for me. Rotors starting to warp after a year.
I guess if I had issues with store bought, I might consider stepping up.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:03 AM
a303101
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having problems with noise with my new front brakes, I drive like a race driver too.. these brakes seem to be cheep quality from that website mentioned above? I was looking at buying a new set of rotors and pads maybe new calipers. from carid under performance..

Old 03-22-2016, 07:38 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by a303101
I'm having problems with noise with my new front brakes, I drive like a race driver too.. these brakes seem to be cheep quality from that website mentioned above? I was looking at buying a new set of rotors and pads maybe new calipers. from carid under performance..
Did you bed them properly? What kind of noise?

Old 03-23-2016, 11:24 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been using Autozones' Cmax ceramic pads on front and rear for years. They have a lifetime warranty and are always quiet with little dust.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:08 AM
RamedHemi
Professional

What website?

Old 03-24-2016, 11:48 AM
RamedHemi
Professional

Placing my order today. Going with Black Zinc coated dimpled/slotted rotors and the oe spec semi metallic pads from brake perform. Maybe next time around I wont have to replace the rotors like I normally do when I do a brake job.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:00 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by RamedHemi
What website?
Website for what?

Quick Reply: Brakes:Semi metallic vs. Ceramic