3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brakes:Semi metallic vs. Ceramic

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 09:45 PM
Joe.G
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just the opposite for me, Cross drilled and Slotted always seemed to last longer.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:00 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm surprised as well the representative stated installation location did not matter. If anything, that person is not qualified to be providing performance materials advice.

The rotors I installed on my Mazda were labeled LF/LR, RF/RR. My cousin has run slotted rotors on performance cars for years and stated they are directional and must be installed in the proper location lest damage to the rotor or surrounding area occur due to part failure.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:42 AM
Joe.G
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you notice most companies slotted/drilled rotors want you to install them so they look backwards when on vehicle, Power stop who I happen to run on my truck has you put them on so they look like they are going the opposite.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dril...uetDlV-u67M%3A

Most I see go like this above.

My power stop go like the ones on the BMW I think it is, first pic bottom row.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dril...UP5-XNz5qHM%3A

Old 04-11-2016, 12:44 PM
RamedHemi
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ones I got are not cross drilled. They are dimpled and slotted which helps disperse heat. Having ceramics for towing is may be worse because you will be really heating those rotors up. Ceramics are a harder compound and produce much more friction and heat then semi which leads to warping. This is why I went this semi metallic plus what factory calls for. I Just learned all this recently. I plow in the winter and on the brakes a lot during storms. This is my first set of dimpled/slotted ill see how they hold up. If they warp they will be replacing under there lifetime warranty

Quick Reply: Brakes:Semi metallic vs. Ceramic