3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No PRND12 indicator and no crank, no start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 03:14 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Find the starter relay and try to do a remote start with the ignition on. Does the engine crank? One more thing, did you try turning engine over by hand? With a socket.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:17 AM
Bgleason62
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like to know if the issue was found. I have an 04 that is doing the same exact thing. It appears several of the relays aren't getting the control voltage needed for the coils to pullin the relay. I've replaced the PCM with a new programmed one, the transmission control solenoid, and the ignition module. I have power to the PCM on the red wire. I have tried plugging in two scanners, one that I have always used in the past to clear O2 sensor faults, and neither one communicates with the truck. I checked the wiring in the DLC and everything is good there as well.
Everything the initiator of this thread had are the same exact issues. I can crank the started by jumping 30 to 87 but the fuel pump relay isn't pulling in either. I'm sure this is a simple stupid fix, but I still haven't found it yet even after talking with a certified Dodge Technician on Just Answer.

Old 10-01-2023, 09:32 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

maybe a IPM/TIPM fault

You'd likely be better served here by starting your own new thread.

BUT, that being said, you gotta promise to return when you get it fixed and tell us, tell the world what you did to get your truck running again

... I suspect you know the frustration of finding the same exact fault and then the trail just goes cold.

The following users liked this post:
aleekat (10-01-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 10:51 PM
Bud_of_KV

I had a similar issue...
The first symptom was after a normal start, transmission went into " limp mode" - no auto shift, only 1st and 2nd gear were available manually.
I would pull over, stop the engine, restart, and usually it would go.

Then it escalated
Would occasionally not crank. Gage lights would go off, etc. but no crank. I did jump to the main starter wire, and the starter was good.
It made me think of a bad neutral safety switch. So I would put key and run and run the shifter back and forth several times, and usually after a few strokes it would start.
Checked all the fuses... all good.

Codes from my $300 reader included;
U10100 Lost communication with ECM / PCM
U0101 Lost Communication with Transmission Control Module
P1603 PCM Internal Dual - Port RAM communication
U1415 Implausible / Missing Vehicle Configuration Data
U1414 Implausible / Missing Engine Control Network Configuration Data
C2206 Vehicle Configuration Mismatch

So I took it to a transmission shop with a better reader....
P0700 Transmission Control System (MIL request)
P0869 Line Pressure High - Stored
Po888 Transmission Relay always off

At the time we could clear them all, but the TX shop could not diagnose the cause.

Also, sometimes the lighted gear on the dashboard did not agree with the physical gear location - it could show P while I was driving off.

FF a year or so, and it was happening more often. And it got to where I could not even get my reader to connect.

A friend pointed me to AAMCO in McAllen TX, and he put his specialized reader on it and got most of the same codes and actually took the time to dig around... There were some codes he could not clear, and that was his final clue.

The PCM itself (Power Control Module) was bad. Easy to replace, but it took 3 weeks to get the part, and had to be programmed by a Dodge guy.
I just got it back 2 days ago, so far so good.

HOpe this helps.

Old 04-04-2024, 07:48 PM
Doug528
Default Doug 528

Originally Posted by FabricGATOR
maybe a IPM/TIPM fault

You'd likely be better served here by starting your own new thread.

BUT, that being said, you gotta promise to return when you get it fixed and tell us, tell the world what you did to get your truck running again

... I suspect you know the frustration of finding the same exact fault and then the trail just goes cold.
I have the same problem ive worked on my 05 Dakota for 2 Mo's now I pull into my shop to replace my shift cable got the old one off put the new one on no problem get in the truck turn the key on ever thing looks normal kit the starter nothing battery good but no crank that when I noticed PRND12 was not showing up on dash so I did the same thing I went and got the remote starter switch hit the button starter turn good but there's no fire no fuel I've been fooling with this truck for over 2 Mo's now and I'm no closer than I started I've had dodge truck all my life I have never seen anything like this would someone please be kind enough to tell me how I can fix this problem I have ran exer wire on this truck but crank nothin

Old 07-03-2024, 03:02 AM
C.Rod1500

Originally Posted by RamCan
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi Automatic that was working and has already had a replacement fuse panel put in again (for the third time). There is no square box on the shift indicator and when you turn the key on, the lights on the dash do all come on and the security light comes on, goes off momentarily and then comes back on. Needless to say there is no attempt to prime the fuel pump or turn the engine over. I jumped the solenoid last night and the starter motor would turn over, but of course would not run. I don't know where the switch is that drives the PRND12 indicator, but maybe that's my solution?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated. I would think this is a common problem.

This old dog of truck has about 900+K on it and runs mint without any oil use when it's running.
mine is doing the same thing it would take awhile for the parked square indicator to turn on then the fuel pump would kick in and thats when it would start

Old 07-03-2024, 12:06 PM
Bgleason62

Mine in my '04 ended up being the TIPM (fuse panel). Have you tried a new ignition switch or made sure that you shifting mechanism is in the right position?

Old 07-03-2024, 12:15 PM
Bgleason62

Or possibly the neutral safety switch (if it isn't a hemi with a 45RFE, 545RFE or a 68RFE transmission).
​​​

Quick Reply: No PRND12 indicator and no crank, no start.