3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

recommended performance upgrdes for max power

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 06:24 PM
bryce.as
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommended performance upgrdes for max power

I'm 15 and my dad is going to give me his 2003 dodge ram 1500 to me when I turn 16 and get my license it is a 5.7 litre v8 and I would like to get the max horsepower and torque while maintaining a somewhat good gas milage and I want engine, exhaust, exterior, interior, and computer upgrades so I can get the max potential out of this truck could you please give me suggestions on what parts to get and what upgrades to do to my truck.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:51 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

What is your budget and what are your plans for the truck? Check this section out for ideas. Everything you ask is covered.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...d-how-tos-133/

Old 06-10-2017, 09:33 PM
jd_hinks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol this is a very broad inquiry. It all depends if you want off road performance or street performance. not sure how many miles your ol man's truck is at, But honestly if it were me before wasting any money on performance mods...I'd just start with the basics...fluids. Front/rear difff,transfer case,transmission,engine,brake fluid,coolant. By doing this it willl give you a chance to get in there and check the condition of these critical components. Power and torque is great! But not so much on a diff or tranny that might be on its way out.

Air filter, spark plugs, belts and pulleys check with your dad and ask when any of the above mentioned items were last changed. If he can't remember then change these out. Being young and keen don't waste ur money. Youtube it and Learn to do it your self.

Front end and suspension. Put the truck on stands and check the condition of all your bushings / wheel hubs / struts / CV Axles / control arms etc.

all being said you should start with bringing this truck back to mechanically sound condition. Only at this point would it be practical to start looking into performance, interior/exterior, or otherwise. Hope this helps.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:00 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am here to unfortunately **** in your wheaties as you have absolutely the worst year for doing engine performance upgrades. Best cam you'll be able to throw in there is either a comp 260 or a custom grind (either running on Superchips canned tuning) tailored to the 03 ECM shortcomings. Only way around this is either with piggy back modules or converting the computers and harness to the 2005 setup. There are still ****loads of things you can do to the rest of the truck though.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:56 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I think we scared him off. Kids want to be spoon fed. He wanted to hear how a cold air intake and a flowmaster muffler will give him 200 hp and 49 mpg. Lol

Old 06-14-2017, 05:03 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I hope he gets good info on upgrades from the lot of you. I'm going to give him some good info on proper grammar and punctuation if he returns like that.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Forced Induction. NOTHING wakes up a motor like a supercharger.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:46 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Forced Induction. NOTHING wakes up a motor like a supercharger.
On a stock 03? Bwahahahahahaaaa!!!!

Old 06-21-2017, 08:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
On a stock 03? Bwahahahahahaaaa!!!!
I didn't say how long it would last.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:21 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned