3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS 4 wheel brakes 2004 Ram

Old 03-16-2018, 04:23 PM
Grayslope1912
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ABS 4 wheel brakes 2004 Ram

right rear caliper will not bleed - no brake fluid from bleeder. checked all lines & all are open. reservoir never went dry. no codes from ABS. no abs light on dash. master cylinder is good. gravity bleed the right rear caliper no fluid.
petal is hard when engine is not running, but falls to floor when engine started. truck will stop with petal almost on floor.
took it to auto repair shop and after 2 days, they tell me there is nothing mechanically wrong and ABS module is good.
WTF!
does anybody anybody have an idea of just what is wrong or how to fix!!!!
HELP.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:12 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you open it enough? if so, try pulling the bleeder completely off the caliper to make sure you're getting fluid to it, sometimes they'll get clogged and you won't get anything out. If you don't get fluid at that point, you have a hose or hard line problem.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Grayslope1912
Rookie

Thanks for the come back!
Here is where I am - right rear caliper is new. The hose from caliper to hard line is new. There is no brake fluid flow to caliper. BTW - this is a 4 wheel ABS on an 04 Laramie.
My thinking is to trace back to the master cylinder to be sure hard line is open - not clogged.
Will update later.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:43 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you getting fluid to the left rear?

Old 03-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Grayslope1912
Rookie

Checked left rear - ok fluid.
Checked right rear - ng no fluid
Checked left front - ok fluid
Checked right front - ok fluid.

Hard line to right rear caliper looks good - no damage to line.
have to take hard line off to right rear caliper.
Check hard line for clog?

Old 03-20-2018, 02:09 AM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just in case and for thoroughness, going to briefly describe how to bleed properly. You need a helper sitting in the drivers seat to push the pedal while you are under the truck opening/closing the bleed screw. Do this with truck not running.
- Top off the brake fluid reservoir.
- Have the helper push the pedal not real hard but firmly. While the pedal is pressed, open the bleed screw at the right rear calliper. Did the pedal drop to the floor when the bleed was opened? Did any fluid come out? Close the bleed screw before the helper releases the pedal. Repeat; ..... push pedal, open bleed, close bleed, release pedal, .... repeat 20+ times. Check and refill the reservoir frequently. When fluid an no more bubbles come out at the right rear bleed, goto left rear and do same, then front right, finally front left.

Still no fluid at the rear? Only thing to do then is to start taking the line apart joint by joint, checking for pressure and fluid at each disconnect. Start by taking the hose off the calliper, press the pedal and check for pressure or fluid. Follow to next joint top of the rear axle centre, take apart, press pedal, check for pressure or fluid. , .... and so on.

I have read somewhere of problems with the short rubber hose at the end near the callipers sometime deteriorate internally and result in blockage in that rubber hose part. Your post says that has been replaced with new. Mentioning for consideration and checking a possible faulty new hose.

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 03-20-2018 at 02:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:58 PM
Grayslope1912
Rookie

Update -
Found out the repair garage that I took it to DID NOT CHANGE OUT the hose from the hard line to the caliper. They lied, but they did not charge me, but regardless will never use them again.
I suspect that the the hose has collapsed in the I.D.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:02 PM
Grayslope1912
Rookie

Where in the heck can you get a brake hose besides from the dealer or Parks Geek (yes they have them), but off the shelf local?
And how the heck do you remove hose from the hard line?

Old 03-21-2018, 06:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Most parts stores *should* stock them, or be able to get them next day, if not that afternoon. (depending on what time you go there.)

To get 'em apart..... chemicals are your friend. I clean them good, hit 'em with chems, let 'em soak for a bit, hit 'em again, then use the proper sized line wrench on them. Sometimes, if they are really stubborn, or, the wrench just slips, I will cut the soft line, (assuming I am replacing it.....) use two pair of vice grips, and twist the line off the nut, instead of trying to turn the nut. (and breaking the hard line.....)

Old 03-21-2018, 07:25 PM
Grayslope1912
Rookie

Hey thanks
Have found a parts store today and will have part tomorrow morning. And sprayed PB Blaster on nut. Will try to get it apart tomorrow.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS 4 wheel brakes 2004 Ram