3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 Stumbling when it shifts into overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 01:01 PM
Tex_waco_usmc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Stumbling when it shifts into overdrive

I just got this 03 running after sitting for a very long time. Other than fixing some minor issues along the way, oil leak, water leak, etc... it really hasn't been that bad. Now that she will start every time I hit the key I've been taking her out a little here and a little there trying to make sure everything is up to snuff.

I haven't driven her very far due to some pretty crummy tires. (Trying to locate some factory 20" chrome wheels to put on instead of just putting tires on these 17" factory wheels). 55-60 is the fastest she has seen yet. I've noticed that when she shifts into overdrive and the RPM's drop she stumbles really bad. It feels like she has a really bad misfire. I thought maybe it was the engine, however, I'm starting to wonder if maybe there isn't something wrong with the transmission. Anyone had this issue or maybe there is something I could check that might cause her to stumble when in overdrive?

Also, is there a trick to getting this valve cover on the passenger side to seal? It leaks from the outer front corner and I have replaced the gasket twice now thinking I did something wrong?

Old 08-02-2018, 02:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

PCM spitting out any codes? If you have a good scanner, you can look at misfire data.... That might be enlightening.

Replace the valve cover, sounds like its warped.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:59 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tex_waco_usmc
I just got this 03 running after sitting for a very long time. Other than fixing some minor issues along the way, oil leak, water leak, etc... it really hasn't been that bad. Now that she will start every time I hit the key I've been taking her out a little here and a little there trying to make sure everything is up to snuff.

I haven't driven her very far due to some pretty crummy tires. (Trying to locate some factory 20" chrome wheels to put on instead of just putting tires on these 17" factory wheels). 55-60 is the fastest she has seen yet. I've noticed that when she shifts into overdrive and the RPM's drop she stumbles really bad. It feels like she has a really bad misfire. I thought maybe it was the engine, however, I'm starting to wonder if maybe there isn't something wrong with the transmission. Anyone had this issue or maybe there is something I could check that might cause her to stumble when in overdrive?

Also, is there a trick to getting this valve cover on the passenger side to seal? It leaks from the outer front corner and I have replaced the gasket twice now thinking I did something wrong?
Are you getting any 700 codes? Fluid level good (checked when at operating temp, in neutral on level surface)? Sounds like the o-ring on your valve cover is getting pinched somehow when you seat it, these things can be a bit tricky when it comes time to cinch them down.
Are you looking for 02-05 polished alumni flower petals or any chrome wheel? I have a set of flower petals (no tires) from my 03 and I also have a set of chrome clad 20's I was running for a while that still have good tires on them (if you're interested).

Old 08-03-2018, 09:16 AM
Tex_waco_usmc

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
Are you getting any 700 codes? Fluid level good (checked when at operating temp, in neutral on level surface)? Sounds like the o-ring on your valve cover is getting pinched somehow when you seat it, these things can be a bit tricky when it comes time to cinch them down.
Are you looking for 02-05 polished alumni flower petals or any chrome wheel? I have a set of flower petals (no tires) from my 03 and I also have a set of chrome clad 20's I was running for a while that still have good tires on them (if you're interested).

havent checked codes yet. Trans fluid has good color and is full. How much do you want for the rims? Where are you located?

Old 08-06-2018, 10:28 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tex_waco_usmc

havent checked codes yet. Trans fluid has good color and is full. How much do you want for the rims? Where are you located?
Definitely see if there are codes to be had, they tend to point you in the general direction you need to go.
I am north of Baltimore MD, are you looking for with or without tires?

Old 08-17-2018, 06:17 PM
Tex_waco_usmc

Sorry it has been a while. We are in the process of buying a house and things have been a little hectic lately.

So my scanner took a crap on me and I cant pull codes on it at the moment. I did however start unplugging the coil packs one at a time while the motor was running. I noticed that #2 and #4 didn't make the motor change but when I pulled #6 it started to stumble worse. So, I pulled #4 plug and the spark plug was pushed closed like something made contact with it. Obviously, there was one of my misfires... Regapped plug reinstalled. Fired motor, ran for a few minutes and then repulled plug. It was not bent closed again and tested spark plug by putting the plug in the coil pack boot and having someone turn the motor over. Its now doing its job. #2 on the other hand was not bent and was gapped properly, but the plug was wet. Is there a way to test these coil packs other than the way I tested #4?

Old 08-17-2018, 06:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Resistance across the circuits..... but, that isn't 100% accurate. Do the same test you did on the other one. (use a spare plug, so you don't have stuff shootin' out the hole at ya.....) See if it actually fires. Probably have to dry it first.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:13 AM
Tex_waco_usmc

Ok we are finally all moved in and I got the chance to work on this truck again. Checked all plugs today and coil packs. All are good. However, my truck is idling at 5-600rpm and rough like it has a hot cam in it. Run it down the road and the stumble is not as noticeable but is still there.

Im hearing an intermittent tap like a lifter noise but I can’t pinpoint it. I’m thinking the 2 are linked somehow.

also noticed tonight that the lights fade with the “lope” of the engine.

Any ideas? Possible fuel related issue?

Old 11-11-2018, 10:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Try a cylinder balance test. (if you can) Start the engine, let it fully warm up. Disable IAC. (just unplug it if you have one, if you have the electronic throttle body, idle the engine up to about 700, and unplug it. I *think* that will work.) Then, unplug each injector, one at a time. See what the engine does. Ideally, the engine should drop to a lower rpm, and it should be consistent across all cylinders. If it isn't, the cylinder(s) with the lowest amount of change, are going to be the ones that you need to investigate further.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:48 PM
Tex_waco_usmc

Ok so I haven’t been able to do anymore tests but it finally popped a code P0300. Any ideas?

All cylinders have been tested for spark... Plugs and coil packs are all firing...

Last edited by Tex_waco_usmc; 11-11-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: 03 Stumbling when it shifts into overdrive