3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turn signals/lamp out flickers with audible warning

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 06:16 PM
2002DodgeRAM_JoshP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signals/lamp out flickers with audible warning

I recently bought a used 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. My turn signals work fine, until I turn on my headlights. Then the lamp out indicator flickers and the chime stays on constantly as long as the turn signal is on. The turn signals (L/R) flash at normal speed throughout the entire process; going from headlights on and off with the turn signal engaged. I think i have a short, but I don't know where to start. I tried replacing the rear tail light assemblies because I have read they are notorious for being a problem. I think the logic circuit that turns the lamp out indicator on or off is monitoring a fluctuating resistance in the circuit. Is there an easy fix? The local Dodge dealership wants 95 dollars just to look at it.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Does it do it regardless of which turn signal you have on?

Old 11-08-2018, 08:36 PM
2002DodgeRAM_JoshP

Yes, it happens with the left and right turn signal only when used in combination with the parking lights. Naturally the parking lights remain on when the headlights come on.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Under normal circumstances, I would suggest check the bulbs for a broken filament shorting it out, but, that would only effect one side.... unless you have more than one bad bulb. (and they wouldn't necessarily be 'burned out' either.....)

Old 01-26-2020, 01:32 AM
Acliff

Originally Posted by 2002DodgeRAM_JoshP
I recently bought a used 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. My turn signals work fine, until I turn on my headlights. Then the lamp out indicator flickers and the chime stays on constantly as long as the turn signal is on. The turn signals (L/R) flash at normal speed throughout the entire process; going from headlights on and off with the turn signal engaged. I think i have a short, but I don't know where to start. I tried replacing the rear tail light assemblies because I have read they are notorious for being a problem. I think the logic circuit that turns the lamp out indicator on or off is monitoring a fluctuating resistance in the circuit. Is there an easy fix? The local Dodge dealership wants 95 dollars just to look at it.
i know this is an older post but, did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same problem.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:03 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Acliff
i know this is an older post but, did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same problem.
Check fuses, check the ciruit boards (what the bulbs plug into), and check the wire itself that plugs into the circuit boards on both sides.

Old 12-10-2022, 02:23 PM
windozesuk
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I fixed mine finally

So I had same issue on a 2004 Ram I got from my friend. It was in an accident on fron driver's corner. Not long after repair, this would happen on both sides tuen signals only when parking lights were on. I replaced tear taillight boards as those were beat to hell, I thought that would fix but no. I checked grounds and ran fresh ground to paring lamp sockets as the ground wires were a bit green a good ways up, still not fixed. OK, removed IPM and FCM, tore down IPM into the separate layers of PCB and cleaned off some corrosion, fixed a short and epoxied it, still not fixed! Finally I just replaced the front turn signal sockets and all is good now! No more lamp out! I am trying to post this everywhere as I see not many people try replacing the front sockets because they look good upon inspection, but something inside goes wrong. Mine were the driver's side 12v was ever so slightly bleeding over between the 12v turn and the 12v parking pins, the passenger side was high resistance in the ground pin.

The following users liked this post:
TonyKZ1 (03-08-2024)
Old 12-02-2023, 10:10 AM
Zachb923
Default Questions

Im having the same issue atm, 03 dodge ram 2500, all new head lights and tail lights, all factory bulbs, and only my right turn signal when the head lights are on i get the chime, lamp out and hyper flash. the head light bulbs are brand new as well as the rear circuit board, i do have led fogs and led lights in the 3rd break light. thinking about changing every bulb to factory and seeing if that works. driving me insane.

Old 12-02-2023, 11:02 AM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Zachb923
Im having the same issue atm, 03 dodge ram 2500, all new head lights and tail lights, all factory bulbs, and only my right turn signal when the head lights are on i get the chime, lamp out and hyper flash. the head light bulbs are brand new as well as the rear circuit board, i do have led fogs and led lights in the 3rd break light. thinking about changing every bulb to factory and seeing if that works. driving me insane.
I would try putting halogen bulbs in your fog lights first, as the truck will most likely think you have a burnt out bulb since the LED bulb will not be using as much power. I wouldn't think the LED third brake light would be causing it, as I temporarily did run one and never had any issues.

Quick Reply: Turn signals/lamp out flickers with audible warning