3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Excessive oil consumption Dodge Ram 5.7 hemi

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 03:41 PM
deputydog5736
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive oil consumption Dodge Ram 5.7 hemi

I've had my dodge in 6 times to the dealership for excessive oil consumption with blue / white smoke intermittent on start-up. They've now done a second oil consumption survey and found it to be using 1.5 litres for 3500 kms. They've already changed 1 valve seal which resulted in some reduced smoke on start-up yet the excessive oil consumption persists. Is it possible that the valve stem seals were not installed properly during production and will a complete change of all valve stem seals fix the problem?

Old 12-10-2018, 09:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

If you are only seeing smoke at startup, it's *possible* valve seals will solve it.

What year is your truck?

Old 12-11-2018, 10:03 AM
deputydog5736
Default excessive oil consumption

The Ram is a 2016 and that's where I'm going with this. I believe valve seals are the issue and the dealership will NOT look into this possibility. Dodge has come up with outrageous oil consumption stats that say it's normal for a 5.7 Hemi to use up to a quart every 2000 miles. I've had 6 Ram 5.7 Hemi and this is the only one that consumes at that rate. Either they got a run of bad seals or they weren't installed properly. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this issue

Old 12-11-2018, 10:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

No. That is NOT normal. Every other manufacturer would consider that 'excessive'.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:14 AM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As one data point.
My Ram is an '04. 5.7 hemi. about 220,000+ Km on it. It burns off 150-200 mL between oil changes which are at 5000 - 7000 Km. It does not consume any oil at all until nearing the end of the oil change interval. That 150-200 is when I ignore the time for the oil change and run a bit longer.

Something is wrong with your engine. Valve stem seals or PCV circuit or piston rings. ..... OR the wrong oil spec being used.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:22 AM
deputydog5736

Originally Posted by FaceDeAce
As one data point.
My Ram is an '04. 5.7 hemi. about 220,000+ Km on it. It burns off 150-200 mL between oil changes which are at 5000 - 7000 Km. It does not consume any oil at all until nearing the end of the oil change interval. That 150-200 is when I ignore the time for the oil change and run a bit longer.

Something is wrong with your engine. Valve stem seals or PCV circuit or piston rings. ..... OR the wrong oil spec being used.
Pretty much figured that it is valve stem seals. I've been fighting with the dealership for over 16 months and had over 6 times in the shop. They finally came to the same conclusion and did the valve seals and PCV valve. The push back that I received in doing this repair suggests that it is a much larger problem for Dodge / Ram. I know that it is also a problem in some of the Hellcats as well. Now that the repair is done, I'll have to keep an eye on the oil just to make sure.
I was basically wondering if anyone else had this issue...

Last edited by deputydog5736; 12-23-2018 at 05:23 AM. Reason: additional comments
Old 12-23-2018, 12:45 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All the stem seals are replaced with new now? If so, will be nice to have an oil usage update posted here after you've got some mileage put on it. Curious as to if that fixed your problem or not ......
Thanks!

Old 12-24-2018, 02:43 PM
Piratepaulin

..or plenum gasket

Old 12-27-2018, 08:16 AM
deputydog5736

Absolutely going to be keeping my eye on the oil consumption. I only have about 200 kilometres with the new seals. It's a little alarming to see puffs of blue/white smoke on start up but I'm thinking it's residual from the changing the seals. I will know shortly, the dealership is so shady that I'm hoping they actually did the repair. At the start of this whole mess I had "words" with the mechanic when my truck went into limp mode after 8000 kilometres because the oil was that low. I was pissed that they wanted to charge me $250 for an oil change since it was my fault and not a warrantee issue. Yet when the truck went in I complained about blue smoke on start up which is an oil consumption issue. It didn't occur to me that a truck with 16000 kilometres would be consuming that much oil. Had a warning light at the time but it had nothing to do with oil. My message centre said the oil was good, but I guess that was my fault for not checking. Any way after I spoke to the mechanic, he noted on the work order that the oil was wrong viscosity, it was contaminated and had an improper oil filter. The problem with that was, they did the oil change! Talked to the service manager and he suggested that I had an oil change in between my scheduled service intervals. Only 2 possibilities, they either lied on the work order or they did an improper oil change. When I asked how the mechanic determined improper viscosity, the manager said he didn't know how the mechanic would have tested for that! They refused to amend the work order or add a supplementary report to counter the negative comments. So now they can screw me and they have it documented that I had a bad oil change. I complained to Dodge and got absolutely nowhere. Disgusting when you pay 75K for a vehicle. The dealership is Lakehead Motors in Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:28 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take video of any interaction you have with the dealer. I bet it changes their act real quick.

Quick Reply: Excessive oil consumption Dodge Ram 5.7 hemi