3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Burning oil after changing to Blend

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 04:52 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Burning oil after changing to Blend

Hey Guys,

It seems both of my vehicles are burning oil suddenly after a few rounds of Valvoline Max Life. My truck is 06 Dodge with Hemi, I have had it since new, currently at 205,000 miles, and the last few actual oil changes have shown consumption, then the last couple times I was due for a change, I didn't have time, but checked the level and needed almost 2 qts (of 7.5) qts so I just topped it off and called it good enough for a change for now. I've been using Max Life since about 175,000, before that was bulk oil from dealership which I was told was manufactured by Valvoline at that time, when it switch to Pennzoil, I switched to Max Life, cuz I've always been a fan of Valvoline oil. My Wife's 05 Jeep with a Hemi has 186,000 and I used Max Life the whole time we've had it, which was about 140-150,000, and seems to be consuming now as well, as I've done the same thing for the last few needed oil changes, just topped it off with 1-2 qts.

I was just wondering if this is likely coincidental, or if the Max Life actually did something that may have caused this consumption, and if there is a way to possibly correct it, or if I just have to grit and bear it.

I posted this on another site and got mostly smart alec answers about the frequency I check the oil. But I did get a couple good suggestions about switching back to conventional. I have since changed the oil to conventional Valvoline so we will wait and see, I just wanted some more opinions to the specific motor from you guys, and to ask another part of the question. I noticed the price of conventional has gone up signifcantly, is the same as blended, and if blended is on sale it's actually cheaper than conventional. Since I am having issues seemingly with blended, and the cost of Full synthetic has dropped quite a bit, would it be wise to switch to Full syn instead of conventional??

Thank You in Advance,

Eric

Old 12-15-2018, 09:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

So far as I know, the Max Life oil IS 'standard' oil, just some additional cleaning additives for those high mileage motors.

Do you see any smoke at startup? Or when you are hard on the throttle? At that mileage, it probably wouldn't hurt to do valve seals. Not really that bad of a job, just time-consuming.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:46 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
So far as I know, the Max Life oil IS 'standard' oil, just some additional cleaning additives for those high mileage motors.

Do you see any smoke at startup? Or when you are hard on the throttle? At that mileage, it probably wouldn't hurt to do valve seals. Not really that bad of a job, just time-consuming.
A buddy noticed a little smoke on startup one time. I have a manifold leak due to broken stud and he happened to be standing right near that fender when I fired up. Googling valve seals, it comes up with valve stem seals, just want to make sure it's the same

Old 12-16-2018, 09:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Yep, them be the fellers.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:50 AM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using valvoline blend oil for a long time. No oil consumption issues with it. I would recommend replacing your pcv valve. With around 200k miles i would recommend doing a tune up. If you have plenty of down time i would pull your plugs out and pore in some marvel oil or a product you believe in to let the rings soak in. Ive seen more then a few motors with gunked up oil rings that where not doing there job anymore with 150k to 200k miles. Valve stem seals would also be a likely cause of oil consumption. Inspecting your plugs would help tell you if its burning oil, could be an oil leak so also check around your oil pan, valve covers and front and rear main seal.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:24 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdgens4sell
I have been using valvoline blend oil for a long time. No oil consumption issues with it. I would recommend replacing your pcv valve. With around 200k miles i would recommend doing a tune up. If you have plenty of down time i would pull your plugs out and pore in some marvel oil or a product you believe in to let the rings soak in. Ive seen more then a few motors with gunked up oil rings that where not doing there job anymore with 150k to 200k miles. Valve stem seals would also be a likely cause of oil consumption. Inspecting your plugs would help tell you if its burning oil, could be an oil leak so also check around your oil pan, valve covers and front and rear main seal.
These engines have nothing to "tune up" and should have regular maintenance performed -- spark plugs @ 30K miles (coil boots or plug wire boots as needed); oil & filter, and air filters changed on a regular basis. I can guarantee that, unless the throttle body has ever been pulled and cleaned, that it has a lot of build up on the backside (and should only be cleaned with throttle body cleaner). I'd recommend running Seafoam in the crankcase and once or twice per month, in the fuel tank, to clean up carbon deposits.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:07 AM
oneHEMI57
Professional

HMG81, many old-school auto engine maintainers that have career experiences dealing with the newer lubricants and performances compared with what grand-pa used in his early '60s Olds and CorVet engines saw something was happening. Blends and better rated was great w/new engines. Their jury came in and suggested to stay with the engine oils with what the engine was using when it went over the 100+K mark. The discovery was; the new, thinner, cooler running lubs were washing out old crud places that up till recently could hold-back the internal crank air pressures the engine produced on normal, no-hard driving, blowing by old seals, gaskets, etc. Do not be all that surprised if the engine begins knocking some cool blue morning. I would (suggest) fall back to the orig weight or five above, like 5 to 10, 10 to 15 (15w30). Good luck.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:23 AM
oneHEMI57
Professional

Continue to my last post here; I forgot to mention, with most cases as this, at this point as you've described, it will be difficult to turn it back to old normal, places (passages) have open and it may require much more than dumping sealer in and going back to the old usual crankcase brand oil.

Quick Reply: Burning oil after changing to Blend