3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

high idle after hitting water puddle on roadway

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 08:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Map seems correct non running. Then it seems kinda strange to me...... Don't know if that's the actual problem, might check and see that it gets good vacuum.....

Old 06-09-2019, 08:08 PM
pershingd
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know if anyone mentioned it or not, but the early 3rd gens has an issue with water getting into the bulkhead disconnect and causing all sorts of problems. Not sure if it applies or not but may be worth looking into.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:35 PM
kevaug
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the bulkhead the Totally Integrated Power Module,(TIPM) the highly-developed fuse/relay box in the engine bay on the drivers side,?
If so - I did check it to see if it had any water in it the next morning but it was dry.
If we are talking about the same thing - do you know what would effect a high idle in that area? If not I do not know what the bulkhead disconnect is.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:56 PM
pershingd
Professional

Bulkhead disconnect is the junction box that connects the interior wiring to the exterior wiring and is located on the drivers side of the firewall. I'm not entirely sure exactly how that would affect the idle, but since so many of the circuits are interconnected, a problem with connection x could affect system y without much rhyme or reason why.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:00 AM
kevaug
Rookie

Thank you - I did end up finding the bulkhead connector right where you sad it would be. The rubber boot on the fire wall seems to be in good shape.
I did notice there is ALOT of wiring in that area. Some of the wires are not all bundled in that black tape but they look like the insulation is in good shape.
Cant really wiggle anything over there - it is a very tight wiring package.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:25 AM
pershingd
Professional

There's a bolt in the center of the connector that holds everything together. It's not about being loose or looking damaged - even when there appears to be nothing wrong water can seep it's way in there and start causing problems. You need to actually take it apart to inspect and clean the connector.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:14 PM
kevaug
Rookie

is there a trick or procedure to remove the rubber "snorkel" on the bulkhead disconnect?

And how do I reinstall and seal it again?
Thanks

Old 06-14-2019, 10:16 PM
pershingd
Professional

You're going to have to check a service manual for that. I was on the road when I started having trouble and took it to a dealer tech. I got a pretty good deal as it was slow and they knew immediately what was wrong. I got away only paying labor & shop fees.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:21 AM
kevaug
Rookie

Took it apart. Unfortunately just like all the other connectors Ive checked - everything is dry, looks solid and no burnt or melted areas.

Although truck is 15 years old it has low miles - less than 90K so all these things seem in great shape compared to all the rust underneath the truck!

Old 06-18-2019, 09:08 PM
pershingd
Professional

It was worth a shot I guess.

Quick Reply: high idle after hitting water puddle on roadway