3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Dodge Ram Transmission Won't Move In Any Gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 08:49 PM
soalebm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dodge Ram Transmission Won't Move In Any Gear

Hey guys I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4X4 with a 5.7 Hemi with 160,000 miles. I was going down the road about a month ago and it suddenly acted as if it was in neutral. I coasted to a stop in a parking lot and tried going through the gears but it would not move. The RPMs change when shifted from neutral into drive but the truck will not move. The linkage is fine and the shifter indicator works normally. I towed it home and dropped the pan hoping to find a spring or clip floating around but nothing. The fluid looked good and there were very few shavings on the magnet. I read a lot of posts on here and other forums about this exact same issue being a simple filter replacement because the filters work loose and the pressure drops. So I replaced both filters, put new fluid in it and it still does the exact same thing.

I then replaced both Transmission Input Output Speed Sensors and the Transmission Oil Pressure Sensor but that did not help either. It is still doing the exact same thing. It will shift into park and it will go into neutral but besides the RPM change drive, 1st and 2nd gear are just like it is still in neutral. I still think it is a pressure issue but now I am leaning toward a torque converter problem. Let me know if anyone has any ideas! Thanks!

Old 06-13-2019, 08:42 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

No unusual noises when it first happened ? in my opinion you put alot of unnecessary parts and service into it so far without a proper diagnosis. But whats done is done.
Im gonna assume your differential is ok? The driveshaft isnt turning when you put the truck in gear?
Next is transfer case. Its not somehow in neutral position is it ? Will the truck stay stationary when in Park ?
Next would be transmission coupling to engine and transfer case.
I believe I have seen a post about a broken input shaft on the front of the transmission for one of these trucks

The following users liked this post:
soalebm (08-03-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 09:28 AM
soalebm

No noise just the feel of the shift I was on a slight grade so when it kicked out of gear you could feel it but I heard nothing. Driveshaft is what I thought I broke right away but it is fine. The truck will go into park and stay there it will not roll. The thing that makes me think it is not stuck in a gear is the fact that the RPMs go up from neutral to drive like they would if you were just sitting there with your foot on the brake but the truck will not move. I have not really spent anything on it yet because it needed a filter and fluid change plus the sensors were only about $70 for all three. But from here it will get expensive. Shift solenoid in the valve body, Torque converter, etc. You can find about 30 other people online with the same problem and it seems like for most of them it is the filter coming loose but mine is new and I even dropped the pan again to make sure I got the o-ring back in right when I was under there doing my new sensors.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Did you get the old o-ring OUT? I've seen that happen before too.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:42 AM
soalebm

Yes I did remove the old one and carefully installed the new one because at the time I thought that was my problem. I have the 545rfe transmission in this truck does anyone know if there is a Governor Pressure Solenoid in the valve body or is it somewhere externally. I have tried to find a parts diagram on Mopar's website for this valve body but have been unable to find one. But I also cannot find a part number listed for one inside the Valve body but it sure looks like there is a solenoid of some sort in there under the top plug.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:35 PM
soalebm

Update of the issue I am having. I read the codes and it was throwing po876 which is a transmission pressure code. Called a guy who I know that works at a dealership and he said since I already changed the filters and replaced the sensors it had to be the shift solenoid. Well I ordered a new one from a guy who rebuilds them and he guaranteed he dyno tested it and it worked. The last thing I wanted to do was put in another solenoid pack and it be bad. I spent last night installing the new one fired the truck up and it is doing the exact same thing. Won't shift into any gear. Goes into park and neutral but every other gear just acts like neutral. It still won't move. The check engine light went out and now it isn't throwing the po876 code anymore but it didn't fix the issue. I am going to try and reset the PCM just to see if that helps.

So far I have: Replaced both filters and changed fluid (which was clean with no shavings or parts on the magnet)
New Governor Sensor
New input and output sensors
New solenoid pack
Checked/swapped out fuses

Anyone have any ideas? Is the PCM bad?

Last edited by soalebm; 08-02-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:26 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I dont believe it will be a pcm issue.
Seems as its throwing a pressure code it might be an idea to hook up some gauges to the pressure test ports and see if you have pressures within specs...If you have those tools...which I dont.
Maybe pull cooler lines off and start the truck to see if you have oil pressure in the lines? simple test which could give you an idea that the trans pump is working? Although not real accurate.
Like I mentioned earlier possible broken input shaft on trans ??? just throwing ideas out for you

The following users liked this post:
soalebm (08-03-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 07:54 PM
soalebm

I am with you I was going to loosen a line and just see if there is any pressure at all. If there is I want to rule out the pump at least. Also I don't have faith that the new governor sensor I put in actually works ever since paid a bunch for a new water pump got it in and it was bad from the factory. That is why I made that guy guarantee the solenoid pack because I can't rule anything out if I can't trust the parts.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

I don't know if the pump actually circulates fluid thru the cooler in park, so, make sure you test in neutral. Set the parking brake as well..... Don't want any rude surprises.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:23 PM
soalebm

I knew it pumped in neutral so I did let it sit for a long time before I tried it just because I drained everything. I read the stupid 120 page 45rfe operation and diagnosis manual last night (if anyone has insomnia the chrysler corporation has managed to cure it with that fine piece of literature). It mentioned an interesting little fact :
"The TCM uses battery temperature information to assist in calculating transmission fluid temperature if a Transmission Temperature Sensor failure has occurred. The TCM delays shift points during cold conditions."
Two years ago I had an issue with the PCM telling me the battery was overheating even when it wasn't and it would stop the alternator from charging. I originally thought it was the alternator so after replacing it and my battery still not charging I discovered the PCM issue. To circumvent it I bypassed the battery sensor and put a 70s style voltage regulator on it and it worked like a charm. That is one reason I was worried about the PCM causing this issue.

Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge Ram Transmission Won't Move In Any Gear