3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019 | 07:11 PM
moldmaker70
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by 66three83
Condenser fan.
The condenser fan is working properly and the condenser is clean.

Old 06-22-2019 | 07:13 PM
moldmaker70
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by jrsick
I have two of those a/c Freon gauges from different manufacturers. Being in red on both of them is dangerous and in "alert" range.
Is it possible that you overcharged your a/c system?
Your Freon level may have been fine, and actual problem was something else like blend door, condenser fan, or faulty relay
Yes it's not good. It was in the red from the moment I hooked it up with the motor and ac on. I will have to let some out of the low pressure side I suppose. Also both lines at the compressor are hot as well.

Last edited by moldmaker70; 06-22-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2019 | 07:14 PM
moldmaker70
|
Amateur

I have two of those a/c Freon gauges from different manufacturers. Being in red on both of them is dangerous and in "alert" range.
Is it possible that you overcharged your a/c system?
Your Freon level may have been fine, and actual problem was something else like blend door, condenser fan, or faulty relay
Which relay?

Old 06-22-2019 | 07:16 PM
moldmaker70
|
Amateur

I have also verified that the blend door is working. I can hear it change and since it's cooler outside I can feel the change from hot to hotter.

Old 06-23-2019 | 08:52 AM
jrsick
All Star

Relay is the a/c relay in the PCM. You can find it by looking at the label on the PCM cover.
This relay make the clicking sound you hear when the a/c compressor clutch engages the compressor.
Before turning the a/c on though you need to reduce the system pressure.
When you get the pressure to safe level, have someone start the car with the a/c off. Have them turn the a/c on with the engine running. Do you hear the click from the relay? When the a/c compressor clutch start turning does it put a drag on the engine?
If no clicking sound then replace the relay.
If engine rpms don't slow a little when the compressor clutch is engaged then you will probably need to replace the compressor clutch. You can replace the clutch without removing the compressor or opening the a/c system.
Several more areas you can check:
- can you locate the high and low pressure sensors? If so, remove the plug on each and check the sensors for continuity. If they have continuity then they are good.
- Are you able to put 12V to the a/c compressor clutch, either by powering at the plug or jumping the relay? With the car engine off? If so, you can do that and check if the clutch engages. You should be able to turn the clutch by hand when not engaged. You can't turn the clutch when it is engaged.

Old 06-23-2019 | 01:20 PM
moldmaker70
|
Amateur

Relay is the a/c relay in the PCM. You can find it by looking at the label on the PCM cover.
This relay make the clicking sound you hear when the a/c compressor clutch engages the compressor.
Before turning the a/c on though you need to reduce the system pressure.
When you get the pressure to safe level, have someone start the car with the a/c off. Have them turn the a/c on with the engine running. Do you hear the click from the relay? When the a/c compressor clutch start turning does it put a drag on the engine?
If no clicking sound then replace the relay.
If engine rpms don't slow a little when the compressor clutch is engaged then you will probably need to replace the compressor clutch. You can replace the clutch without removing the compressor or opening the a/c system.
Several more areas you can check:
- can you locate the high and low pressure sensors? If so, remove the plug on each and check the sensors for continuity. If they have continuity then they are good.
- Are you able to put 12V to the a/c compressor clutch, either by powering at the plug or jumping the relay? With the car engine off? If so, you can do that and check if the clutch engages. You should be able to turn the clutch by hand when not engaged. You can't turn the clutch when it is engaged.
Silly question...since the clutch does engage when ac is turned on would that not indicate that the relay is working?
Also I know that I did not over charge the system last summer and now it's overcharged. What would cause that?

Old 06-23-2019 | 06:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

It isn't going to grow refrigerant in there, and I doubt folks are sneaking in, and adding it while you are sleeping. Get your pressures right, and then see how a/c performance is. If the compressor is actually running, then yes, the relay is working.

Old 06-23-2019 | 06:32 PM
moldmaker70
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It isn't going to grow refrigerant in there, and I doubt folks are sneaking in, and adding it while you are sleeping. Get your pressures right, and then see how a/c performance is. If the compressor is actually running, then yes, the relay is working.
Come on man haven't you heard of gremlins? LOL!!! A friend of mine is coming over in a few days that works on commercial refrigeration units and is going to get all of the pressure right.

Old 06-23-2019 | 07:32 PM
jrsick
All Star

I think good move to get someone with the right gauges to check the system. For your friend's reference, at 90 degrees outside temp, your low side pressure should be 30 to 40 psi and high side 250 to 350 psi.
If low side pressure was good last year but high now then likely problem is compressor. I rec getting a new one while your friend is available so you can get the old system out and new one installed properly.
You may also want to check your condenser to make sure the fins and tubes are in good shape and not distorted due to high pressure.

Last edited by jrsick; 06-23-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-23-2019 | 10:13 PM
moldmaker70
|
Amateur

I think good move to get someone with the right gauges to check the system. For your friend's reference, at 90 degrees outside temp, your low side pressure should be 30 to 40 psi and high side 250 to 350 psi.
If low side pressure was good last year but high now then likely problem is compressor. I rec getting a new one while your friend is available so you can get the old system out and new one installed properly.
You may also want to check your condenser to make sure the fins and tubes are in good shape and not distorted due to high pressure.
Thank you very much. I will pass this info over to him.

Quick Reply: A/C question