3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

towing package????

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 02:10 AM
deezeldogg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing package????

I have the special towing package thats built into the frame and allows you to put the ball hitch up thru the bumper. i believe the towing capacity is 5000 lbs, which is plenty for the new boat that i bought. the problem is, since the ball is in the bumper, there is no room to make tight turns without the trailer neck rubbing the bumper. is there some kind of package i can add to the current set up so that i can use a receiver and tongue??

Old 12-14-2005, 02:19 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: towing package????

The only tow package that is on the Ram is a factory reciever and 7 pin wiring harness. The bumper as you described it is a factory thing.

I would buy the bolt on reciever for under 100 bucks and go from there. It is an easy 20 min install. If you go that route, let us know as I've got some tips on the install.

You can also add the 7 pin wiring harness for cheap also. It is an easy install, but requires soldering into the reverse light. No biggie. I was done with it in like 1 1/2 hours because I took the time to do everything right the first time.

Old 12-14-2005, 02:34 AM
deezeldogg

osteodoc, i bought this hitch --> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRAIL...QQcmdZViewItem

we weren't able to figure out a way to bolt it on--there weren't any holes that matched up in the present package set-up. is there something that we are missing??

or if i buy a more typical set-up, will it bolt on more easily??

Old 12-14-2005, 01:24 PM
518Comanche

Dogg,

My hitch looks exactly like that one. Mine bolted through the bumber holes (the two holes on each side of the ball if it were mounted in the center hole on the bumper). Then it bolted on the metal frame tube that runs directly behind the bumper. Mine came with a wire to pull the bolts through the tube and into the mounting holes. Hope this helps. The Doc can probably advise you better.

Chris

Old 12-14-2005, 03:10 PM
deezeldogg

thanks for the info comanche--i will check that out. where did you get yours and how much did you pay?

Old 12-14-2005, 06:22 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Mine looks the same as well. Did they not include the fish wire and bolts. If not, call the manufacturer.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:19 PM
deezeldogg

yeah, the package came with bolts and wire, but when i took it to my neighbor, who is a ford mechanic, he had no idea, and the instructions weren't any help. it seemed that the setup was for an install on a truck without the built-in towing package. but maybe we just didnt know what the hell we were doing. anyway, i have since resold the hitch on ebay. do either of you have any pics that i could check out before i buy another hitch? it would be a big help and greatly appreciated. thanks!.....

Old 12-14-2005, 09:24 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Too bad you sold it. We could have explained that you had to use the fish wire and gone under the plastic piece on the bumper to access the holes. I'd just order one from a Dodge dealer or get it online again. Hope you didn't lose any money.

Next time, when in doubt, JUST ASK US!!! We are a rather helpful and curteous group that would have gotten you pointed in the right direction (even if you let a Ferd mechanic touch your truck)

Old 12-14-2005, 11:56 PM
deezeldogg

well i actually just found this site a few days ago....this whole tow package thing went down about 2 months ago when i bought my boat. since we couldnt get it on, we just used the bumper package to haul the boat which has been in storage since then. i actually made money when i resold the hitch on ebay, so no biggie. i'll jus buy another from the same guy. thanks guys!! so lemme get this straight, cause i am a visual person, not abstract.......the 2 holes on top of the hitch pictured in my post above bolt into the 2 holes in the bumper, right? and then the other 2 holes bolt to the metal frame tube directly behind it--which the holes for the bolts are located on the BACK of the tube towards the front of the truck, right? i went in the cold to check out my truck and confirmed this--its what it looks like to me.........

Old 12-15-2005, 12:05 AM
kx_dad

Would a factory reciever hitch from a '05 3500 fit onto a '05 1500?

Quick Reply: towing package????