3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can feel everything the same in my steering whel and brake and gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 08:16 AM
armophob
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can feel everything the same in my steering wheel and brake and gas pedal

The dealership had the dash out several times for something else.
I never want to go back.

Just tapping the steering wheel can be felt in the brake and gas pedals either stopped or in motion.
So all the road travel is transferring to them through the steering wheel.
Feels like a dune buggy.

Please someone tell me what they F*ed up.

Thanks

Last edited by armophob; 12-29-2019 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

There are likely some loose bolts holding the dash to the cab. Steering column bolts to the dash at the upper end..... pedal frame as well I believe.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:37 AM
armophob
Amateur

Sorry to take so long to reply. I did check all the steering column mount nuts for tightness and they are. It is just maddening driving because everything the steering feels from the wheels and road I feel in the pedals. It is almost like they missed reinstalling something that separates them.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Steering column mounts to the dash at the upper end, check all the dash mounting bolts as well.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:29 PM
Baha72

I have the same issue in my 08 4x4. I can feel a vibration in the gas pedal and steering wheel. While at a stop in my driveway the other night I started to slowly turn my steering wheel and it went away as long as there was pressure being applied but returned when I let go. I'm thinking the power steering pump is causing this. I read somewhere that there is a high pressure hose with a weight or something on it to fix this. I plan on flushing the system to see if that helps because I dont know the exact history of the vehicle since I bought it used but the fluid has seen better days. My truck has 78k on it now and I plan on changing all the fluids to be safe.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:27 PM
armophob
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Steering column mounts to the dash at the upper end, check all the dash mounting bolts as well.
Yes, 13mm nuts on the mounting bolts are tight.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:30 PM
armophob
Amateur

Originally Posted by Baha72
I have the same issue in my 08 4x4. I can feel a vibration in the gas pedal and steering wheel. While at a stop in my driveway the other night I started to slowly turn my steering wheel and it went away as long as there was pressure being applied but returned when I let go. I'm thinking the power steering pump is causing this. I read somewhere that there is a high pressure hose with a weight or something on it to fix this. I plan on flushing the system to see if that helps because I dont know the exact history of the vehicle since I bought it used but the fluid has seen better days. My truck has 78k on it now and I plan on changing all the fluids to be safe.
I think we have different issues. I get this without the key in the ignition. Tapping on the steering wheel with my palm is like tapping on my foot with my hand through the pedals.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:29 PM
Baha72

Yeah. Mine doesn't do that I just tried it. The only thing I see under there is the bracket that holds you brake light switch that activates when you press the brake. That's the only link between the brake pedal and column that I can see.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

There is more than two bolts that hold the dash in place.....

Old 12-31-2019, 04:26 PM
armophob
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There is more than two bolts that hold the dash in place.....
Nothing else dash wise is involved. Just the steering column and pedals. The steering column has to be dropped for the dash removal and that means removing the 2 13mm nuts on the dash mounting bolts. They are tight. There has to be some kind of bushing or grommet they missed that acts as a shock absorber between the column and the pedals somehow.

Quick Reply: Can feel everything the same in my steering whel and brake and gas pedal