3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 RAM HEMI 5.7 p0171 p0174

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 12:46 AM
djromann
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the reason I was looking specifically for a HEMI- I'm kinda sick of 4.7, my 01 Durango just developed a knock after burning coolant- replaced heads a year and half ago with refurbished from Clearwater. Will have to drop the head on bank 1 hoping it's just the gasket and maybe a fallen rocker arm or bad lifter. Already got the gaskets and bolts, will replace timing kit and another water pump and hopefully will give it away for a couple of grands with no rust at all, only thing would need some newer tires.

Old 12-23-2019, 01:00 AM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by djromann
Here's the reason I was looking specifically for a HEMI- I'm kinda sick of 4.7, my 01 Durango just developed a knock after burning coolant- replaced heads a year and half ago with refurbished from Clearwater. Will have to drop the head on bank 1 hoping it's just the gasket and maybe a fallen rocker arm or bad lifter. Already got the gaskets and bolts, will replace timing kit and another water pump and hopefully will give it away for a couple of grands with no rust at all, only thing would need some newer tires.
Hey if you get it fixed, maybe it'd be worth keeping as a backup vehicle. My dad had a car & truck, and he needed a second vehicle a lot

The following users liked this post:
djromann (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 01:23 AM
djromann
Amateur

It sounds so sad and true about having all Dodges around...
So, my cars:
2001 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 V6- bought it three years ago, next day we moved to the US, drove it for a year until my wife's got the driving licence. Two times rearended, totaled twice, still runs strong- last year drove it from Sacramento to San Diego and back)
2001 Durango 4.7 V8- bought less than two years ago with check engine light for 1st cylinder misfire, ended to be a dropped valve, so swapped the heads, worked fine until few days ago.
2009 Journey 3.5 V6- got it with overheating, replaced heads and everything else, now I'm working on getting it smogged- got the catalytic converters codes p0420 and p0430. Couple weeks ago ordered "new" cats on ebay, and they just don't fit on their place.
And finally, the 04 RAM 1500 5.7 HEMI that I got yesterday. I call it "Santa's sleigh" because it's bright red, got a bada$$ LED bar above the windshield and cut off the last muffler, so my neighbors know exactly when I'm moving around)

Alex Medeiros (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 02:03 PM
djromann
Amateur

So, just ordered the fuel pressure tester kit on Amazon, preparing for the weekend with all the parts

Old 12-23-2019, 09:50 PM
djromann
Amateur

By the way, does anyone know what's the best way to clean dirty catalytic converters? Assuming that they're already off the car? Thanks!

Old 12-23-2019, 10:00 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There may be some ways to try an clean while there installed as I have seen some post about that ,, but off try this link may help

Old 12-23-2019, 11:26 PM
djromann
Amateur

Originally Posted by 72rtchallenger
There may be some ways to try an clean while there installed as I have seen some post about that ,, but off try this link may help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icTmYItwiE
Tried the soapy water and degreaser before, didn't help
Already tried to insert an RC circuit into the downstream sensors, got ten more errors)))
That's for the 2009 Journey with 125k miles.
Just found on youtube a couple of options- first would be an acid bath: either citric acid plus wood bleach, or acid wheel cleaner or vinegar then pressure wash it.
Second and last option would be to cut the cat in between the two honeycombs and wash them separately then weld it back. Seen that I have almost zero experience with welding I'm trying to avoid it. But also given that I've got a TIG welding machine on sale a while ago I may be up to that .

Old 12-30-2019, 06:50 PM
djromann
Amateur

So, here's my progress:
1.On Saturday took off the intake, replaced all spark plugs with copper Champions gapped at 0.043- 0.045 in. The old were Autolite with gap between 0.055- 0.060 plus corroded inner (spark) side.
2. Replaced spark wires with new Denso brand wires
3. Cleaned the injectors in ultrasonic bath with seafoam; replaced all O-rings
4. Replaced intake manifold gaskets with Fel Pro; one of the old PCV gaskets- the opposite side of the oil filler tube- was bent and apparently was sucking in air with dust, dirt, there was a decent amount of build around that hole
5. Replaced throttle body gaskets with new Fel Pro
6. Replaced air temp sensor on the resonator
7. Replaced PCV valve, the old one had a lot of gunk on it, probably never replaced before
Tried to replace the MAP sensor but the new one wouldn't fit, read later that have to trim some surrounding plastic on the manifold, will do later.
After this tune-up drove the truck about 20 minutes, the monitors became ready all but the EVAP.
On Sunday took off the O2 sensors, cleaned them in ultrasonic bath, and replaced the oil sender unit- it was leaking. Got a new one at OReilly's, swapped it but wasn't able to push the plug all the way down, so it's not connected right now, gauge shows zero pressure plus "check gauges" light. I've read that someone was able to push the plug down by firmly tapping it, will try. Apparently with the "check gauges" light on the monitors won't become ready and won't trigger any CEL, plus the scanner won't read any pending codes as well. Had to leave it as that because it started raining, will take care of it tonight or tomorrow.
Another thing that I noticed crawling under, the exhaust manifold studs are broken so I ordered for both sides plus the gaskets. I have doubts though that it would trigger the lean engine codes- it doesn't suck in the air, on opposite, it pushes it out.
Still have to do the fuel pressure test and check voltage for drops.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:01 AM
djromann
Amateur

Another update:
Managed to plug the oil pressure sensor- the pin inside the sensor was slightly bent so wouldn't go into the socket. Now the "check gauges" light is off and oil pressure gauge is at 12 o'clock.
Replaced the MAP sensor, had to trim the plastic intake but took me about two minutes wit the multitool. Drove it around the block and it stalled on me few times- sitting at a red light, then at a right turn, then at start moving from a stop sign. Replaced back the original sensor and it wouldn't stall any more. Luckily I replaced that sensor at a different time then replacing all the other stuff, otherwise I'd have to swap all the sh#t back...
Programmed a remote control for the truck using the SBB tool through OBD port- I've got the truck just with keys, no fob. Interesting thing- was going through the SBB functions and it has a voltage tester built in. With the car off system voltage would be 10.8V, with running engine 12.8. That leads me to the idea that the battery might be weak, will try to replace it as well even if it starts right away.
Did the fuel pressure test, the gauge would stay at 60psi range; when shut the engine would drop for just a couple psi. Let run on idle about three times by 15-20 minutes, no drops, steady 60psi.
Run few miles until the monitors would become ready, got pending codes 0171 and 0174, but no check engine light.
Wil drive it for few days to see how's acting, will probably do the mod with grounding the throttle body as well, will keep updated.
By the way, I took pictures of the freeze frame of pending 0174, but I'm not that good with understanding those numbers, could anyone explain me what I'm looking at? Thanks!

Old 01-02-2020, 08:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Am I reading that right? You have several cylinders pulling almost 98% of fuel??????? That ain't right.

djromann (01-02-2020)

Quick Reply: 2004 RAM HEMI 5.7 p0171 p0174