3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What kind of bumper do i have?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 03:18 PM
drew0022
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of bumper do i have?

Hello all,
this is only my second post but this is a great forum so I hope I can get some help. I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport and just had to return a bull bar I ordered because it was nowhere NEAR fitting. Looking at many other Rams from the same year I have realized I have either an aftermarket or a dealer option bumper. I will attach photos below. It appears to be very similar to the SRT10 bumper package. My bumper has a forward protruding "lip" at the very bottom the makes it look very sporty indeed, but completely screws up bull bar fitment, as that lip occupies the exact space the very bottom of bull bars wants to occupy. I have already attempted to install a standard bull bar with regular brackets that go through where the black insert/valence thing is in the picture (I put it back in). My question is, short of replacing the bumper (which I don't want to do) does ANYONE know of a bull bar designed for this type of bumper? When I search for bull bars online they all show as compatible with my vehicle, but they obviously are not as my vehicle is "unique". Or alternatively, does anyone know of the existence of brackets that extend far enough forward and down to position the bull bar where it would need to be? I thought about having them fabricated but I can't stomach the expense. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Look for a bull bar that fits the Sport Package trucks. I do believe they use a different bumper than the non-sport trucks.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:57 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 221 Likes on 201 Posts

Sport bumper; not even remotely like an SRT, though they share the same metal bumper & bracket underneath. You just happen to have the Hemi sport/Rumble Bee/Daytona front lip added on. Sport bumper support is different from the regular bumper that has the chrome. If you can't find one that fits with the lip, it is easily removable; if you do let me know, I'll buy it from you. If you take the lip off it'll look like this:

Old 01-25-2020, 08:52 PM
drew0022
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses. So from my research I have not seen any bull bars for anything other than straight stock Rams. Although in my searches I have found a couple photos online of other Rams with identical bumper setups. Must just be fairly uncommon. SO if my bumper support/frame is in a different place than regular, AND I have an extra lip added to the bottom, I'm assuming it would be a cold day in he** before I found a company making brackets to fit a bull bar for my setup. Looks like it's a fabrication shop for me. I love the way the truck looks, don't want to change it, but man I want a bull bar on this thing. Thanks again for the answers.

Quick Reply: What kind of bumper do i have?