3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diablo Trinity Platinum, or Superchips DashPaq?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 07:17 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Magnoom
Their canned tunes are about the same and are the same respectively regardless of specific tuner, i.e. any Superchips tuner you buy will have the same set of tunes for your 04 regardless; same with Diablo. Superchips wins here for stock engines and trans tuning. Diablo wins for the ability to load custom tunes and the Trinity specifically for being dash mount capable. Any leaning out long tubes (like Pacesetters) would do would pretty much be offset by the fuel enrichment of the tune. What you need to decide is if you like your trans tuning better or not. While a custom tune would be much more dialed in to your specific vehicle, you probably wouldn't get much more out of it than a canned tune because it's stock. Different story if you cam it, swap heads, etc.
I don't plan on doing anything extreme, it will most likely take me a number of years to do anything really significant. I'm starting with the exhaust and intake.... nice and "simple"
after that.....maybe a cam down the road at some point, but I'm not building a racer....just want to get a little more power and maybe fuel economy.... yes I know it's a 7000lb truck with a Hemi.
I don't know what its mileage is currently as I don;t even have it yet, but I'd be quite happy if I could manage to squeeze 12mpg out of it.

That being said I do like my ability to tune my trans.
There isn't too much that can be done on an 04, and its my understanding that an 05 is much more "tunable" for whatever reason (can't remember now) and that it has more options for the transmission.
I never messed with that much though because I don't really understand shift points much.

What I want to achieve here?
a little more power.... they're 345 HP to begin with right? I'd like to get up to 400HP if I could, or even if I could achieve 345HP at the wheels. Is this an unreasonable goal?
a little more economy.... It's my understanding that long tubes are also capable of adding maybe 2mpg?? again, am I way off base here?
firmer/harder shifts.... but in a way that isn't bad for the transmission. again, I could be way off base, please correct me if I'm wrong.... I might be thinking of a different vehicle, but is it not better for the transmission to shift "harder" as it reduces the dwell time on the clutch packs, thus reducing wear on them???

those are my 3 main objectives with this new truck....however, I'm hoping to find out today if long tubes will even fit a 2500.....

Old 06-09-2020, 07:21 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

The problem I'm having with these headers right now is that any time I choose 2500 as an option all I get are diesel parts and nothing for a hemi. in order to find stuff for the hemi I have to choose 1500.

it doesn't say the pacesetters fit the 2500, but it's also thinking the 2500 has a diesel, so naturally the pacesetters won't fit a Cummins lol

Old 06-10-2020, 12:28 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 222 Likes on 202 Posts

A Comp 260 is a good all around torque cam and it will run in a pre-eagle 5.7 with a Superchips 91 tune. Hope this helps:
http://www.moes-performance.com/Headers_s/1890.htm
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...model/ram-2500

Old 06-10-2020, 07:40 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

A Comp 260 is a good all around torque cam and it will run in a pre-eagle 5.7 with a Superchips 91 tune. Hope this helps:
http://www.moes-performance.com/Headers_s/1890.htm
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...model/ram-2500

it does because at some point, once I've done the basics first (oil change, spark plugs, change other fluids like diff) and gotten the exhaust done, I'll probably be looking into a simple cam.

Though I doubt I'll be running 91.... gas prices going back up

too early to tell right now though.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:38 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR
it does because at some point, once I've done the basics first (oil change, spark plugs, change other fluids like diff) and gotten the exhaust done, I'll probably be looking into a simple cam.

Though I doubt I'll be running 91.... gas prices going back up

too early to tell right now though.
Message me sometime if you're interested in a low mileage comp 260. Came as part of a package deal but I already had the one I wanted.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:52 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Message me sometime if you're interested in a low mileage comp 260. Came as part of a package deal but I already had the one I wanted.
Right now I would say there's a good chance it would be at least a year before I'm looking at cams.

Old 06-11-2020, 12:15 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR
Right now I would say there's a good chance it would be at least a year before I'm looking at cams.
Well right now I would say there's better than even chance (unless I throw it in the old lady's car) that it'll still be sitting in the same spot on the same shelf a year from now lol.

Quick Reply: Diablo Trinity Platinum, or Superchips DashPaq?