3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diablo Trinity Platinum, or Superchips DashPaq?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 09:29 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diablo Trinity Platinum, or Superchips DashPaq?

So I'm looking at a tuner, I already own a Superchips F4 3845, and it's had all of it's "advanced" features unlocked like the ability for the user to set shift points etc.
I wanted to get something "better" so I'm wondering who here has experience with these and could tell me which tuner might be better for a 2005 2500 5.7L.

I need custom tunes as I MIGHT be installing long tubes on it, but I'm more curious how much more one of these two tuners can do over my old Flashpaq.

I'm not really seeing much on youtube about what specific tunes it offers and stuff, and I'm especially not seeing anything about it on a 3rd gen ram.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

For simple bolt-ons, you don't really need a custom tune. Most of the aftermarket tuners come with a selection of tunes, performance, towing, economy, et. al. Those are designed for pretty much stock trucks though. When you start making changes like heads, cam, etc, then you are getting into custom tune territory.

And yes, some folks tunes are better than others...... Which one is 'best'? On that, I have no idea.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:53 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
For simple bolt-ons, you don't really need a custom tune. Most of the aftermarket tuners come with a selection of tunes, performance, towing, economy, et. al. Those are designed for pretty much stock trucks though. When you start making changes like heads, cam, etc, then you are getting into custom tune territory.

And yes, some folks tunes are better than others...... Which one is 'best'? On that, I have no idea.
Oh don't worry, I wasn't going to ask which is best because I know how that kind of stuff goes.

I was told by Superchips that if I install long tubes on my truck it tends to run lean and requires a custom tune..... I don't think it's anything extensive, just something to correct whatever long tubes change.
At any rate, custom tunes are an feature that I would like to have available should I ever need it.

Otherwise, what kind of canned tunes are included on these tuners , does anyone know? IS it worth spending an extra couple hundred dollars for the trinity over the dashpaq?

And should I take a "risk" and buy one from ebay? There are a couple of good deals around for the trinity.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Probably something about the O2 sensors being further away from their source...... Not sure how much of a difference that actually makes. Probably wouldn't hurt to check exhaust temps with stock manifolds, and then again with the headers. See how much difference there is.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:10 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

When I had my stock '02 4.7, I had the Superchips 3950 Cortex and it really turned that truck into a monster. It was a night and day difference.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:44 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
When I had my stock '02 4.7, I had the Superchips 3950 Cortex and it really turned that truck into a monster. It was a night and day difference.
ya but..... I'm asking about the Dashpaq or the Trinity Platinum.....

This isn't a case of "what's the cheapest good tuner I can buy", it's a case of "Which of these two are the better of the two because I'm definitely buying one of these two"

Old 06-08-2020, 03:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Looks to me like the Trinity does more, and gives you access to some of the more interesting parameters. Not to mention it comes with a couple tunes, and has the provision for loading tunes from external device. (via USB?)

Old 06-08-2020, 03:20 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Looks to me like the Trinity does more, and gives you access to some of the more interesting parameters. Not to mention it comes with a couple tunes, and has the provision for loading tunes from external device. (via USB?)
How'd you find a comparison? I would love to compare the two side by side but I haven't seen anything like that.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Trinity anyway, so likely that's what I'll end up with. maybe sell my little Flashpaq to recoup some of the money.
Now if only I could find a Canadian supplier. The one place I was looking, TDot performence I think, only has a package that includes a CAI to go with the tuner and it's like $1,200 for the kit....but it doesn't have options listed for my model year...

So I wonder if it would be worth it to buy that, and then try to sell the CAI separately...... probably not though, I don't want to be sitting on a CAI forever wating to recoup that money too.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Searched 'em both out, and looked at features. Two separate tabs.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:02 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 222 Likes on 202 Posts

Their canned tunes are about the same and are the same respectively regardless of specific tuner, i.e. any Superchips tuner you buy will have the same set of tunes for your 04 regardless; same with Diablo. Superchips wins here for stock engines and trans tuning. Diablo wins for the ability to load custom tunes and the Trinity specifically for being dash mount capable. Any leaning out long tubes (like Pacesetters) would do would pretty much be offset by the fuel enrichment of the tune. What you need to decide is if you like your trans tuning better or not. While a custom tune would be much more dialed in to your specific vehicle, you probably wouldn't get much more out of it than a canned tune because it's stock. Different story if you cam it, swap heads, etc.

Last edited by Magnoom; 06-08-2020 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Diablo Trinity Platinum, or Superchips DashPaq?