3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ok, I really need exhaust help here (Headers & Stuff)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 09:22 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok, I really need exhaust help here (Headers & Stuff)

One of the first things I'm going to be doing when I get my truck (2005, 2500, 5.7L) is to change out the exhaust system, I want to go true duals with an H pipe.

Now where I'm getting stuck is what I need to buy and in what sizes.

So I think I've settled on the Pacesetter 70-2211 long tubes, they're at a price point that works for me, and I'm hoping should perform on par with something like BBK's.... long tubes seem to be hard to find for this truck.
TDotPerformance says these headers will fit my truck. Amazon.ca says they will not.....

After the headers I'm going to need catalytic converters, but this is kind of where I'm stuck. I want to go maybe 3" all the way back from the collector (also 3") but many of the high flow converters I've been looking at are all 2.25" or 2.5", the only 3" ones I'm seeing are california models and super expensive.
If I go with a 3" converter is that too large? do I need to go with a 2.5?

If I get the converter situation sorted and buy the long tubes and converters, then an exhaust shop should be able to do the rest right? the mid tubes and everything else all the way to the back?
I'm also going to go "straight pipe" without mufflers, so it'll just be cats, headers and an H pipe.

Is this doable?
Are there any good systems I could get in Canada? I would prefer to order from Canadian sites and see Canadian prices if possible, because that $400 USD deal ends up costing me closer to $800 after conversion and taxes and stuff.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

2.5 inch duals is just about perfect. Go larger, and you lose some scavenging from the pipes. Smaller, and you start choking things off. Put the cats as close to the headers as you can, and the H pipe immediately behind them. Magnaflow makes great high-flow cats.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:57 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
2.5 inch duals is just about perfect. Go larger, and you lose some scavenging from the pipes. Smaller, and you start choking things off. Put the cats as close to the headers as you can, and the H pipe immediately behind them. Magnaflow makes great high-flow cats.
yup, I was just reading that 3" would be a mistake, so was going to go with 2.5".
Ideally the cats would be attached directly to the collectors, but I don't think they'll fit like that will they?

There's a highly recommended exhaust shop in my city, I think I'll give them a call tomorrow and talk about this a bit. I think if I have the headers and cats they should be able to fabricate everything else.

I'm going to do what my dad did on his old 92 GM with a 454 in it, and stick big *** exhaust stacks out the back as tips.... I mean not like an entire stack, but like this in the video. This was an awesome truck....but man the fuel consumption was something else.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:02 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

if the converters fit in the spot after the collectors, would be it good or bad to go with a 3" converter directly on the collector, and then to 2.5" pipe out the back?

Old 06-08-2020, 10:12 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

I'd dig a bit more, maybe ask Pacesetter directly. I seem to distinctly recall their longtubes not fitting the HD chassis

Old 06-08-2020, 10:49 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by Magnoom
I'd dig a bit more, maybe ask Pacesetter directly. I seem to distinctly recall their longtubes not fitting the HD chassis
sounds like solid plan. I don't have the truck yet obviously so I can't compare it against my 1500 to see what's different.
I'm really hoping they're going to call me tomorrow to pick it up, but I get my hopes up all the time and let myself down lmao. They said today it might be another day or two.....so fingers crossed.

of course the big catch is whether or not my (high risk) insurance company will even insure a vehicle with a rebuilt title.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:50 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Ok so, truck can be insured

Anyway, does anyone know 100% certain if pacesetters will f it on a 2005 2500?? I keep seeing mixed answers all over the place with a few saying they will and pointing me to "american headers" or something, so theirs says they will fit....but I'm really wondering about the pacesetters because I've ordered them now and should hopefully be picking up the truck soon.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Think you are going to be the guinea pig here.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:27 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Think you are going to be the guinea pig here.

Looks like it and I'm perfectly happy to be...sort of..... I'm not made of money so it won't be like "alright **** it, let's throw money at this and make it work" but if the pacesetters don't fit, or require some heavy modification I'll look into getting the ARH headers.

I'll be making a video of some kind about this whole scenario....because none fking exist it seems

The pipes are on the way and if they don't fit I can return them.... the problem here right now is that I still don't have the god damn truck... I was told again, another couple of days when I dropped off the license plates today

Last edited by GRNDPNDR; 06-10-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

What seems to be the hold up?

Quick Reply: Ok, I really need exhaust help here (Headers & Stuff)