3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My rear differential needs some serious repairs, where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 12:04 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My rear differential needs some serious repairs, where do I start?

Got into changing my rear differential fluid today and saw the holes worn through the (what part?), and so obviously I have some serious problems here.
According to my build sheet I have a 10.5" anti-spin differential on a 2005 Ram 2500 5.7L 4x4.
Also according to the sheet, I have 3.73 gears, but in the service manual for my 05 2500, it says the gearing can be 3.21, 3.55, or 3.92 ..... 3.73 isn't listed as an option.

At any rate, what replacement parts do I need to look for? I have no idea where to start here.

Old 07-05-2020, 12:15 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

ummmmmm.......so at Mopar Parts Canada they have the part listed there and it looks like THIS!!
So, there's actually nothing wrong with my rear end?

Old 07-05-2020, 12:27 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

that is the differential case.
with metal going thru the diff...the side and pinion bearings are probably nfg. a close inspection of the crown and pinion gear and housing is also a good idea. some third gens had a rear diff recall for a loose pinion nut. see if yours is in the recall. if yes and the pinion nut is loose...it may qualify for a rebuild.

Old 07-05-2020, 12:34 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by primem
that is the differential case.
with metal going thru the diff...the side and pinion bearings are probably nfg. a close inspection of the crown and pinion gear and housing is also a good idea. some third gens had a rear diff recall for a loose pinion nut. see if yours is in the recall. if yes and the pinion nut is loose...it may qualify for a rebuild.
ya but did you see the picture I posted above with the same part (presumably new) from Mopar Parts Canada? it looks the same.

I also checked the Mopar website, there wasn't a recall listed for the differential at all.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Old and new look suspiciously the same to me. If there isn't excessive amounts of filings in the fluid, and no visible damage to anything in there, my take on it would be to button it up, and refill with fluid.

The following users liked this post:
rwaltemate (07-20-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 05:19 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Old and new look suspiciously the same to me. If there isn't excessive amounts of filings in the fluid, and no visible damage to anything in there, my take on it would be to button it up, and refill with fluid.
That's exactly what I did. Everything looked ok, the only reason I really thought something was wrong was because there was a little chip from the machining that just broke right off, it wasn't interfering with anything so it seemed to me like something bad had happened.

Apparently this is how they normally look and maybe whoever cleaned it up (15 years ago) at the factory didn't do such a good job.

Everything is working fine and after changing the fluid my shudder when turning corners went away..... I knew what that problem was though, that's why I changed my fluids.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:14 PM
grpht03ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're differential needs repair you'll know it! Grinding and clunking will be painfully obvious. Make sure you clean the magnet every time you go in there.

Quick Reply: My rear differential needs some serious repairs, where do I start?