3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Possible rich condition? Can someone help me read these O2 readings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 06:04 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Would like to see snapshot of all the data at the same point in time, rather than just two. I don't know what tool that is, or its capabilities... can you capture a bunch of data you desire in a single snapshot? If not, recommend getting a $15 bluetooth dbd2 reader, and use torquePro on your phone. You can customize what you're looking at, and get a bunch on the screen - however you want to chart it. These are samples I had on my phone, not the config I'd want for your situation, but as an example of what can be had for $20. Also torquePro seems to correctly calculate vac.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:48 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I've got an ELM 327 on the way, it'll be here saturday

Old 07-10-2020, 09:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Prismatic
Our sensors measure pressure in inHg Absolute (inHgA), which makes that statement demonstrably false. So, I'll demonstrate.

Here I've removed my MAP sensor from the manifold and attached it to a vacuum pump with an inHg gauge.

As you can see, the inHg gauge reads zero, no vacuum.

The scan tool confirms that at 0 inHg (physical gauge) the sensor reads 30inHgA (sea level)

I draw 15.5inHg vacuum on the sensor

Map sensor reports pressure has fallen from 30 inHgA to 14 inHgA

Draw the vacuum down to 20 inHg vacuum

And the sensor reports 9 inHgA
Well, not like I have never been wrong before.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:50 PM
Prismatic
All Star

While I wait for my elm to arrive.... It's got this cold start surge that happens sometimes. Not a heavy surge, just a couple hundred RPM and usually only a few times it'll do it before it stops. And today I pulled over to make a phone call and the truck stalled as I came to a stop.
Do these trucks have a dedicated IAC? I have no throttle codes but I'm wondering if I have a throttle body issue.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:12 PM
Prismatic
All Star

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Well, not like I have never been wrong before.
I just realized that I kind of sounded like an a****le in my post... That wasn't my intent. Another possibility is that the scan tool is running a conversion but I doubt that since it's a harbor freight cheapy.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

I just realized that I kind of sounded like an a****le in my post... That wasn't my intent. Another possibility is that the scan tool is running a conversion but I doubt that since it's a harbor freight cheapy.
No worries. I STILL learn new stuff here on a regular basis.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:04 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

While I wait for my elm to arrive.... It's got this cold start surge that happens sometimes. Not a heavy surge, just a couple hundred RPM and usually only a few times it'll do it before it stops. And today I pulled over to make a phone call and the truck stalled as I came to a stop.
Do these trucks have a dedicated IAC? I have no throttle codes but I'm wondering if I have a throttle body issue.
Have you cleaned the throttle body?

When I get a used vehicle, I'll typically run only 10 gallons of injector cleaner treated fuel (3x typical Lucas), with the highest grade fuel. I put the cleaner in a 2 gallon lawn mower tank, mix it thoroughly, then pour it into about 8 gallons in the tank. Run it down a bit, then repeat. I'll do that for at least 3 - 5 times before I go back to just filing the tank with regular fuel. I find that always improves performance, often drastically.

Old 08-09-2020, 04:00 AM
Prismatic
All Star

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Have you cleaned the throttle body?

When I get a used vehicle, I'll typically run only 10 gallons of injector cleaner treated fuel (3x typical Lucas), with the highest grade fuel. I put the cleaner in a 2 gallon lawn mower tank, mix it thoroughly, then pour it into about 8 gallons in the tank. Run it down a bit, then repeat. I'll do that for at least 3 - 5 times before I go back to just filing the tank with regular fuel. I find that always improves performance, often drastically.
Funny you say that, but yes the throttle body was clean.

A lot has happened since I last posted here. I developed a knock! But it was top end. I collapsed a lifter on the passenger side, so I ordered all new mopar lifters, springs, and seals.

When I got the heads off I found a LOT of carbon on the pistons and in the combustion chamber. I'll add some pics later if I can remember to. Thick stuff too. Spent a lot of time with some kerosine on the pistons cleaning them up. The exhaust valves were pitted and coated with carbon as well. Spent a little time with a lapping tool and got them cleaned up, didn't take much on them. Anywho, slapped it all back together and so far it's running better than ever. The lower intake was a mess, I ended up flushing it, and then soaking it in a giant tub of soapy dawn water for a day, and then flushing it again. The PCV valve was a solid chunk of schmoo.

I'll be adding a catch can soon to help with that. I'll be retiring this thread since I've changed so much now, so if the problem that I started this thread with persists or comes back, I'll make a new one.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:05 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

I like the hemi, but having to pull the heads to get at the lifters sucks.... at least you found something useful to do beyond the lifters, after the heads came off. Maybe get all your odb2 baseline readings and save them off (screen shot your phone), for future reference. Where are your fuel trims and o2 sensors looking like now?

Quick Reply: Possible rich condition? Can someone help me read these O2 readings?