3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 dodge ram 2500, 5.9l cummins brake bleed issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 12:31 PM
austinsn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 dodge ram 2500, 5.9l cummins brake bleed issue

I installed a new gear box about 2 months ago due to play in the pitman and was leaking. I noticed that both lines running to it were leaking so knew I needed to replace in the future everything worked fine for about 2000 miles then steering started to harden and drove 10 miles to our shop and now no go, so I replaced the hoses then have attempted to bleed and I think I have it so I test drive and only worked long enough to pull out of the shop and turn once then gone i have also noticed that my brakes would lock but this time I bled it the brakes seem fine. Could my gear box be a bad box? I did do a dumb step when taking hoses off I got on the wrong nut and broke it lose which is some sort of adjustment nut on the gear box could that have messed somthing up? Bleeding procedure, front of truck up then turn the wheel left to right 5 times then push the brake 3 times i have done that atleast 40 times is this the correct way?

Old 07-08-2020, 12:39 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by austinsn
I installed a new gear box about 2 months ago due to play in the pitman and was leaking. I noticed that both lines running to it were leaking so knew I needed to replace in the future everything worked fine for about 2000 miles then steering started to harden and drove 10 miles to our shop and now no go, so I replaced the hoses then have attempted to bleed and I think I have it so I test drive and only worked long enough to pull out of the shop and turn once then gone i have also noticed that my brakes would lock but this time I bled it the brakes seem fine. Could my gear box be a bad box? I did do a dumb step when taking hoses off I got on the wrong nut and broke it lose which is some sort of adjustment nut on the gear box could that have messed somthing up? Bleeding procedure, front of truck up then turn the wheel left to right 5 times then push the brake 3 times i have done that atleast 40 times is this the correct way?
If you turned the adjustment nut you could have messed up the adjustment on the box

Old 07-08-2020, 12:51 PM
austinsn

Would i be able to re adjust it or am I screwed

Old 07-08-2020, 05:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

The nut is just a jam nut, to keep the actual adjuster from moving. If your power steering failed before you did anything with that, I doubt its currently your issue. Did the pump fail? On mine, the pump looked perfectly fine.... until I took the belt off, and the pulley, and part of the shaft just fell out.......

Old 07-09-2020, 08:37 AM
austinsn

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The nut is just a jam nut, to keep the actual adjuster from moving. If your power steering failed before you did anything with that, I doubt its currently your issue. Did the pump fail? On mine, the pump looked perfectly fine.... until I took the belt off, and the pulley, and part of the shaft just fell out.......
If it did fail than I wouldn't have any way to know it didn't squeal or show any sign to fail i guess its somthing ill have to check

Old 07-09-2020, 08:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

When mine failed, there was zero warning. I had power steering, and then, I didn't..... no odd noises, no belt squeal, nothing. Driving the truck home 50 miles, pulling a 5000 pound chipper was "fun"..... to say the least.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:06 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

If both your brakes and steering lock, I think you have two issues. Did you put a rebuilt steering box on it? You might have gotten a bad unit. I put two alternators on once and both were bad. When I went to get #3, I had them bench test it. It was bad along with 2 others. That was 5 bad units. I finally got a good one but it was older. Evidently they had a bad run of rebuilds. On your brakes, do you have the original flex hoses? One might be getting ready to collapse inside. I generally replace both front and the rear hose to the axle when this happens as they are all the same age.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:54 PM
austinsn

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
If both your brakes and steering lock, I think you have two issues. Did you put a rebuilt steering box on it? You might have gotten a bad unit. I put two alternators on once and both were bad. When I went to get #3, I had them bench test it. It was bad along with 2 others. That was 5 bad units. I finally got a good one but it was older. Evidently they had a bad run of rebuilds. On your brakes, do you have the original flex hoses? One might be getting ready to collapse inside. I generally replace both front and the rear hose to the axle when this happens as they are all the same age.
I been doing alot of research and yes i got a reman from oreillys due to budget and have noticed that remains are junk im going to swap it out and push my luck on the new reman and push to get a redhead box and with the lines they are original but the brakes are tied to the steering somehow cuz its a deisel and it didn't start till I put the new lines on for the pump. But I rhought about steel lines at the brakes.

Old 07-10-2020, 06:22 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

I been doing alot of research and yes i got a reman from oreillys due to budget and have noticed that remains are junk im going to swap it out and push my luck on the new reman and push to get a redhead box and with the lines they are original but the brakes are tied to the steering somehow cuz its a deisel and it didn't start till I put the new lines on for the pump. But I rhought about steel lines at the brakes.

I'm going to do my Homer Simpson imitation and say "D'oh!" I work with diesels so rarely I forgot they have hydrobrakes. O'Reilly's is where I got all the bad alternators a while back.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:19 PM
austinsn

Turns out the reman gear box went to crap, replaced it and no problems for now.

Quick Reply: 03 dodge ram 2500, 5.9l cummins brake bleed issue