3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 10:26 PM
Dodgedad02
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water

So I have the r.7 2002 ram q500... Just replaced the timing chain cover, water pump, a lot of sensors, plugs, coils, and finally changed fuel pump and truck ran great... I noticed it didn't have any water in the reservoir started filling it up and it was just gone... Checked everything and found oil in my intake and my oil is like my coffee... Damn near white... I need to know if the gasket for the timing chain could be a reason for the water in my oil... Or do I need to break down and rebuild the whole thing from the head??? And how hard is it to get it unhyperlocked????

Old 07-21-2020, 11:31 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like the symptoms of a blown headgasket or something. Clearly water is getting into the oil.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

What engine is in it?

Old 07-22-2020, 08:57 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

The timing chain would not be a cause of coolant in engine oil.
You ask about "unhyperlocked", do you mean hydrolock? What symptoms are you getting that lead you to hydrolock? To answer your question though, you should disconnect your plug wires from the plugs, and remove one plug from each cylinder. Then cycle the starter and see if water comes out of plug holes.
If your engine is running, I'd recommend putting in fresh oil, removing your radiator cap, then starting your engine. If you see bubbles in coolant at radiator cap then head gasket is bad. Make sure the coolant level is topped off in the radiator for this test.
There's other checks and possibilities, start with this and we'll go from there.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:22 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Blown head gasket is the only way I can think of coolant mixing with oil? How long has it been since you did all that work? Did you burp the cooling system when you filled it up? If not, air pockets can form and cause severe overheats. I'm not familiar with your engine, but when you checked the overflow, did you check the radiator too?

Depending on how long you've been running with the oil contaminated, your main bearings might be screwed and it might be better to get another engine. Check your oil pan for metal. That mixture doesn't lube well.

Old 07-24-2020, 03:55 AM
Dodgedad02
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a 4.7 magnum...

Quick Reply: Water