3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Squealing Noise At Idle - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 02:57 PM
BigCountry55
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing Noise At Idle - Please Help

2006 1500 4.7 6-speed 4X4

My wife and I were sitting in the drive thru and out of no where, a high pitched squeal started when she started the truck back up to move forward. I immediately thought it was either a belt or pulley of some sort on the engine.

When got back home, we parked and shut it off, I started investigating. Belts are tight, no slop or visible wear to speak of. Pulling all seem good. So I start it back up to listen. In neutral and at an idle, the noise is constant. But to my surprise, the noise isn't coming from the front of the engine. Rather its coming from the back. I crawl under the truck and its coming from the area where the tranny mounts to the motor. So I press the clutch, the noise does change a little in tone, but still a constant squeal. I back up about 50 feet, then drive forward. I try this a handful of times, the noise doesn't go away. I shift into each gear, everything seems to shift just fine.

I'm at a loss because I'm not too familiar with clutches or manul transmissions. I'm guessing maybe the throwout bearing??? Or is there something more to it?

Please help, thank you in advance.

Old 12-12-2020, 06:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Probably throwout bearing, or the starter is staying engaged.

Quick Reply: Squealing Noise At Idle - Please Help