3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Serpentine belt and tensioner 2004 Ram 4x4 1500

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 09:51 PM
cdnjan
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Serpentine belt and tensioner 2004 Ram 4x4 1500

My serpentine belt has begun to shred on one edge. I have no idea how many miles is on it. I was driving and a thumping was coming from under the hood. The hood was locked up due to rust. So peeking in where I could I saw something flying around. Drove home worked on hood latch all good now. When having a good look around I saw nothing wrong with the belt. The next trip out it was ok, no noises. Next, next trip out it started again and I knew I had to have a closer look. I found the 6" very narrow slice (1 rib worth) just laying in there. Felt the belt again and could tell where it was shredding from. Otherwise, the belt felt good and solid, but clearly, I can feel/see the flaw now. I did do one more trip out like 40 miles .. no issues. I realize now I was taking too many chances.
**So I am planning to replace the belt before driving again.
How important is it to change the tensioner/pulley as well? I'm not real flush with cash so I would rather not.. but I also don't want to ruin a new belt if it's more a tensioner issue. I have had the truck for 5 years but I only have used super low miles.
Thanks a bunch for any input.

Old 07-13-2021, 09:57 PM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Check your pulleys also.

The following users liked this post:
cdnjan (07-14-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 10:45 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsick
Check your pulleys also.
... and your oil/fluids. Not related to the problem you're having, but if the hood is rusted shut... just saying.

cdnjan (07-15-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 04:21 PM
cdnjan
Amateur

Yes, of course first thing I did. It was not rusted shut for very long. Just when I needed it lo. Made me realize older trucks need extra tlc.

Old 07-14-2021, 04:24 PM
cdnjan
Amateur

Thank You .. what are your thoughts on changing everything out? Thinking to take my chances and watch the new belt closely. I just don't know at this point if it just an old belt or if something is out of alignment .. (pulley/tensioner) and wrecked the belt.

Old 07-14-2021, 05:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,230 Likes on 2,980 Posts

See if the tensioner moves freely. (albeit, it's gonna be a stiff spring...) If the tensioner feels ok, just put another belt on there, and watch it for a while. Probably just an old belt.

cdnjan (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 07:47 PM
cdnjan
Amateur

Hey You, Thanks so much. You always show up. The tensioner feels real good.. moves but tight! I shall remove it from my cart
did notice the alternator pully has a 1/4" chip out of the outside edge. It is not rough so I think it is ok. Also noticed a spot on a wire that has a small shallow cut on it. I know that is from the belt shredding and it sliced it while driving. I think electrical tape will fix that. It's super tiny.
ok onward. I need to fix this fast sadly no Rock Auto up here so transit takes some time. Their prices are worth the wait.
Thanks again!

Old 04-09-2022, 07:03 PM
cdnjan
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
See if the tensioner moves freely. (albeit, it's gonna be a stiff spring...) If the tensioner feels ok, just put another belt on there, and watch it for a while. Probably just an old belt.
Just me again. So I have likely put way less than 1000 miles on the truck. Belt is doing its destruction action again. It did slice 2 wires this time. I think just AC as it never worked anyway and all else seems fine. I shall get the new tensioner hoping that will solve the problem. Just wanting to double check if there is anything else that may be going on? Truck appears to be overcharging .. can only go by the needle on the dash. It's just slightly higher than it used to be. Could this be related?
Thanks to any and all input as always. Much appreciated
Jan

Old 04-09-2022, 07:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,230 Likes on 2,980 Posts

Verify alternator output with a meter. See what it has to say. The dash gauges are notoriously inaccurate.....

When you have the belt off, clean all the grooved pulleys REALLY WELL, and make sure everything spins nicely. A bad bearing in even an idler pulley can eat the belt in short order.

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt and tensioner 2004 Ram 4x4 1500