3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stereo Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 11:53 AM
mpd2436
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stereo Question

Can this amp be uninstalled and have an aftermarket amp installed in its place? If so can you use the factor wiring along with the wiring that Crutchfield supplys? Sorry about all the questions I just want to do it right a not screw anything up.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:01 PM
Red Ram Hemi 2005
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have to find a amp that is the same size and mount as the stock one, and it is very hard to take it out. I put my stereo and speakers last year and had to rewired the whole thing. its not to bad just time consuming.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:21 PM
boyd98
Veteran

I am confused. to me it should be simple, although i havent done it yet.

I imagine there is a harness from the current head unit to the factory amp - and then from the amp the speakers are connected. Why can't I just install my aftermarket headunit - and connect it to the amp which is then connected to my 7 speakers.

Whats wrong with that - some ppl may perfer an aftermarket amp, but if you dont have the money, or care, why can't I do my set up like above - why do you have to splice? That sounds old skewl, i thought they made headunit harnesses for every make and model now a days.

?? what am i missing

Old 12-29-2005, 04:38 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

I am no expert ,but i think the inputs are probubly incompatable,rca's out of the aftermarket head unit and speaker wire out of the factory unit.Also,the factory unit is a passive,non powered head unit while the aftermarket is powered by an internal amp.This may cause problems.If I were you i would talk to a pro about your best options,any reputable installer should be able to answer your questions.I use Crutchfield,I have had excellent results with these guys.

Crutchfield costomer service: 1-888-955-6000

I hope this helps

Old 12-29-2005, 04:46 PM
mpd2436
Professional

That's a good question, will an aftermarket radio work with the stock amp? My thing is the stock amp must have some type of crossover. It will only send lows to my front door speakers and highs to the dash speakers. I wanted highs and lows from the doors. My stereo doesn't sound right with only highs coming from the dash and nowhere else. Plus I'm wasting the money on the upgraded 4way speakers I installed in the doors. There has to be a way to just bypass that stock amp without running all new wires.

Old 12-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

The stock amp has to be bypassed to use an aftermarket head unit,I called Crutchfield yesterday and asked.they said I would have to run new speaker wires from the head unit harness to the speaker harness(after the amplifier)I would have to say your right on the crossover frequencies out of your stock amp being the culpret in your lack of bass

Old 12-30-2005, 01:19 AM
mpd2436
Professional

I guess they don't make a harness for this,(to go from the head unit to the speaker harness after the amp)? Actually its the other way around, all I have is bass in the front door speakers and no highs. The highs only come from the dash. I want all four door speakers to be able to pump out bass and treble.

Old 01-04-2006, 07:40 AM
Vader Ram

www.pac-audio.com has what your looking for. The reason that Crutchfield says there isnt anything is because "THEY" don't carry anything and would rather you buy from them than anyone else [:'(].

I believe the OEM-2 from PAC Audio will allow you to add an aftermarket HU to the factory amp. However, any speakers installed in the door locations that are powered by the factory amp will be crossed-over to only play low frequencies because that's what the factory amp is set to do.

If you are truly wanting to keep the factory amplifier I would run a set of replacement 6x9s in the doors and a nice set of 3.5"s in the dash.

Im not keeping the factory amp wired up or the factory HU. I'm installing a Kenwood 817DVD and Orion 8004 for the mids/highs. This will provide the best sound as the factory amp is a mediocre piece of equipment.

If you don't want to keep the factory amp, just cut and pull the wires going to it, install your aftermarket HU and run the wires from it's internal amp to your doors and dash...however, you won't be able to power your rear speakers doing this. Or you could install a nice set of 3-4 way 6.5"s or 6x9s in the doors and not run dash speakers at all that way your rear channels of the HU can power the rear speakers of the truck.

Here is a link to the page with the OEM-2:
http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...%20Integration

Feel free to call them if you have any questions about using this piece in your particular install.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:24 PM
mpd2436
Professional

Thanks for the info Vafer Ram. What I was hoping to do was bypass the factory amp and install a new head that I could hook up to all of the speakers. Basically I want to defeat the crossover in the factory amp so I can get high and lows to the doors. I've already replaced the front and rear door seakers. I was looking to buy the Pioneer DEH-P80MP. It's internal amp is more than powerful enough for what I want, I just did 't want to cut and splice around the factory amp or have to run all new speaker wires.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Vader Ram

well, looks like thats what your going to have to do...because to get to the wires going to the stock speaker locations you have to locate the factory amp and get to the output plug, then decode the coloring of the stock wires to make sure you were wiring to the correct speakers.

But even then, you won't be able to power all 7 speakers from that single HU. Unless you buy 2 ohm speakers for the dash and front doors, series wire them together for 4 ohms and go from there. Then you will have 6 not 7 because of the 2" center channel speaker

Quick Reply: Stereo Question