3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help!!! I am lost

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 01:57 PM
dsalak86
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help!!! I am lost

2002 dodge ram 1500 4.7 liter i have been having issues for a while now every time i hit a speed bump or pot hole the truck will try to cute out then it will start up again. i talk to a mechanic he says its a short so i did the test probe method and pulled all fuses the light stayed on. so i start pulling the wire connectors to the tipm the light on the probe turned off when i pulled c1 and c3. has anyone had similar issues like this if so got any pointers?

Old 08-29-2021, 09:56 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by dsalak86
2002 dodge ram 1500 4.7 liter i have been having issues for a while now every time i hit a speed bump or pot hole the truck will try to cute out then it will start up again. i talk to a mechanic he says its a short so i did the test probe method and pulled all fuses the light stayed on. so i start pulling the wire connectors to the tipm the light on the probe turned off when i pulled c1 and c3. has anyone had similar issues like this if so got any pointers?

You're not lost! You're right here! Remember, men don't get lost. We are explorers. Columbus didn't get lost looking for Japan, he FOUND the new world. Sorry, I have a ...different sense of humor. Seriously, before you start tearing into things, check your grounds. If one is loose or corroded,a bump might cause an open circuit for just a moments. The main ground from the engine to the battery can be rotten on one end. Trace them ALL the way. Just as soon as you miss one, that'll be the naughty one. You have the main ground from engine to battery, but also body to battery and possibly one or two firewall to engine grounds. I've seen bumps cause a burp in running or even turns one way or another. Now, it may not be that, but it's cheap and easy to check.

Old 08-30-2021, 05:14 AM
dsalak86

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
You're not lost! You're right here! Remember, men don't get lost. We are explorers. Columbus didn't get lost looking for Japan, he FOUND the new world. Sorry, I have a ...different sense of humor. Seriously, before you start tearing into things, check your grounds. If one is loose or corroded,a bump might cause an open circuit for just a moments. The main ground from the engine to the battery can be rotten on one end. Trace them ALL the way. Just as soon as you miss one, that'll be the naughty one. You have the main ground from engine to battery, but also body to battery and possibly one or two firewall to engine grounds. I've seen bumps cause a burp in running or even turns one way or another. Now, it may not be that, but it's cheap and easy to check.

I have replaced the battery to the engine ground and that’s about it. I have 3 grounds 1- to the engine 2- to the chasis 3- to the body of the truck

Old 08-30-2021, 07:52 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Ground issues can drive you crazy. Keep at it and you'll find the problem.
It sounds like you know where all of the grounds are. Disconnect the battery and clean the ground connections with a wire brush and coat with dielectric grease.
Check the resistance and flexibility of the grounding wires. I wouldn't expect to see more than 1k ohms total resistance.
Measure battery voltage static (should be at least 12.5v). Measure voltage drop during start (shouldn't drop below 9.5V). Measure voltage with engine running (should be over 13.5v).
Since you have a probe, check around the engine for ground connection. Then next time you have a power loss check those same points for ground. Also check battery voltage and see if it is significantly different from previous check.
I have one of these in my truck:
Amazon Amazon
I got it so I could charge my devices and read battery output since I run two stereo amps and aftermarket lighting. I find myself looking at it a lot and it might help you troubleshoot.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:49 AM
dsalak86

Originally Posted by jrsick
Ground issues can drive you crazy. Keep at it and you'll find the problem.
It sounds like you know where all of the grounds are. Disconnect the battery and clean the ground connections with a wire brush and coat with dielectric grease.
Check the resistance and flexibility of the grounding wires. I wouldn't expect to see more than 1k ohms total resistance.
Measure battery voltage static (should be at least 12.5v). Measure voltage drop during start (shouldn't drop below 9.5V). Measure voltage with engine running (should be over 13.5v).
Since you have a probe, check around the engine for ground connection. Then next time you have a power loss check those same points for ground. Also check battery voltage and see if it is significantly different from previous check.
I have one of these in my truck: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N4WKJMT...roduct_details
I got it so I could charge my devices and read battery output since I run two stereo amps and aftermarket lighting. I find myself looking at it a lot and it might help you troubleshoot.
so use the probe for grounds, what am I looking for exactly? For it to light up?

Old 08-30-2021, 11:22 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Right, that there is a ground, and that the voltage read at the engine ground is the same as the voltage read at the battery. Then next time truck dies check same areas for ground.
Resistance of ground cables is good info also.
I think plan is to find out when the problem happens (what makes it happen) then find the source. You'll need the results of your testing to compare good truck to bad truck.
Make sure the battery is good, and the posts and connections are solid. Next time you get a shutdown see if your battery is hot.

Last edited by jrsick; 08-30-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:54 PM
dsalak86

I have replaced the battery to the engine ground and that’s about it. I have 3 grounds 1- to the engine 2- to the chasis 3- to the body of the truck

the only time I die out is when I hit a bump or pot hole. The battery is at 12.55 volts and running 13.5. At start up it drops to 9.5 to 10v

Old 08-31-2021, 12:35 AM
Aaron Maurer

I have the exact same truck and the exact same thing was going on. Check the hot lead that goes the fuse relay center under the hood. Maybe a little loose

Old 08-31-2021, 01:22 PM
dsalak86

Originally Posted by Aaron Maurer
I have the exact same truck and the exact same thing was going on. Check the hot lead that goes the fuse relay center under the hood. Maybe a little loose

not it everything is tight.

Old 09-01-2021, 11:11 AM
dsalak86

[QUOTE=dsalak86;3523932]not it everything is tight.[/QUOTE

UPDATE: this morning I was like having a power surge my gauges was flicking like a earth quake meter. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Help!!! I am lost