3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Knock only on initial start up

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 09:53 PM
roneytwinturbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Before replacing anything, look at the dipstick. I suspect it's gonna be chocolate milkshake, which means you are going to have to pull the heads.
haha pulling the heads was the reason for all this. I noticed the white smoke and the sweet smell of coolant so i knew the heads were coming off.

Old 11-10-2021, 11:04 PM
roneytwinturbo

So i have a question, there are videos out there that says you need to remember the orders of lifters(lashes) and rockers and install them at the same location, do i need to do this if i install new ones? Are there certain sizes? I had the impression that they were all the same size.

thanks

Old 11-11-2021, 09:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

The rationale behind putting old ones back into the same spot they came from, is because they wear in together, if you are replacing them, not so much of an issue. Should keep the rockers in the same positions though, unless you replace those as well. Then it just doesn't matter.

Old 11-11-2021, 10:12 AM
roneytwinturbo

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The rationale behind putting old ones back into the same spot they came from, is because they wear in together, if you are replacing them, not so much of an issue. Should keep the rockers in the same positions though, unless you replace those as well. Then it just doesn't matter.
i have gone ahead and decided to keep the good lifters and replace all rockers. I noticed the the lifter for the rocker that was shot out still had great tension so i will inspect them all and replaced ones with play in them

Old 11-11-2021, 12:10 PM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

I'd use assembly lube on all of the wear areas for both new and old parts.

The following users liked this post:
roneytwinturbo (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 03:39 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I hope the rest of the truck is solid. The seller totally knew it had engine problems when they sold it to you.

Old 11-12-2021, 06:46 PM
roneytwinturbo

Originally Posted by Prismatic
I hope the rest of the truck is solid. The seller totally knew it had engine problems when they sold it to you.
Yea, it looked like whoever worked on it did some major crap job. Heads were torqued down so much that i have to use a breaker bar to break it loose. Exhaust bolts were missing because the they left the broken end inside the cylinder and to top it off, there was a bolt missing for one of the timing chain guides… I’m almost glad i had to tear it apart and do the job correctly

Old 11-13-2021, 07:45 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

You mention pulling heads, are you pulling both heads and replacing components on both sides?
Rec feel for a lip at the top of the cylinder sleeve, and visually check the cylinders for wear. I would wipe down the cylinders with shop towel soaked in tranny fluid.
Consider replacing the oil and oil filter. Your crank is sitting in a milk shake right now.
Coolant/oil mixture was potentially the cause of your oil pressure light and the 522 code.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:25 AM
roneytwinturbo

Originally Posted by jrsick
You mention pulling heads, are you pulling both heads and replacing components on both sides?
Rec feel for a lip at the top of the cylinder sleeve, and visually check the cylinders for wear. I would wipe down the cylinders with shop towel soaked in tranny fluid.
Consider replacing the oil and oil filter. Your crank is sitting in a milk shake right now.
Coolant/oil mixture was potentially the cause of your oil pressure light and the 522 code.
yes, i am pulling both heads and will be replacing water pump, oil pump, oil pick up and all gaskets. New chains and tensions including new guides as well. New head bolts and new manifold bolts purchased

Old 11-18-2021, 10:31 PM
roneytwinturbo

A little update, have been super busy with work before the holiday. All my lifters were actually bad, found out when i compared it to a new lifter i had bought and noticed the height difference and the lack of springiness. Passenger side is complete and the driver side should be in tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a first start since a week ago.

bottom end looks great and also, oreilly gave me the wrong oil pickup so i just reused it and can decide to replace it another time. New oil pump and oil pan splash guard in.

fyi, cleaning the exhaust manifold gasket off the heads are a pita!!! My right wrist has never taken this much beating before

Quick Reply: Knock only on initial start up