3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Knock only on initial start up

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 06:10 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Rec you get a good look at the cam lobes. Bad lifters often equal grooved/scored lobes.

Old 11-19-2021, 06:39 AM
roneytwinturbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsick
Rec you get a good look at the cam lobes. Bad lifters often equal grooved/scored lobes.
lobes looked good on both cams, I’m also replacing all valve seals

Old 11-19-2021, 08:57 PM
roneytwinturbo

Big screw up, read the torque spec being 28N•m but it was actually 17N•m for the “special” bolt!

need to make a trip to a junkyard now to pull a driver side cylinder head and pray its good enough to swap over my stuff, worst friday ive had in a long time.

will have to wait until monday since i will be away this weekend.

really wish i have a punching bag at the moment.

Old 11-22-2021, 03:27 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Ouch, that's a big oops. Just grind a groove in it and tig it up.

Old 12-03-2021, 07:55 AM
roneytwinturbo

One week update:
Been driving the car for a week and only thing i noticed that was bad was an oil leak from the oil pan, CEL for lean on bank 1(exhaust leak). Other than that, the car runs fine.

new oil pan came in, just waiting for the weekend to let the car sit with the new pan installed with a rtv gasket before refilling it with new oil.

the exhaust leak is from the exhaust manifold that came with the car. I noticed that the current manifold on it was missing a output hole that covers the small port towards the back of the cylinder head. So i assume the people who worked on the truck bought the wrong manifold and just slapped it on. I got a new to me manifold that should fix it and will also swap that out this weekend. Been babying it until after 3500 miles/next real official oil change.

this weekends project will also include replacing all the air vent doors with upgraded metal ones.

thanks for tuning in and giving your input

Quick Reply: Knock only on initial start up