3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 11:43 AM
GRed
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark Plugs

Ok, 08 4.7 I was reading on here bout the plugs these 4.7 uses. copper core vs FR8TE2 OE GENUINE Yttrium Spark Plug ..I did call the dealer and this is how I got to this type of plug they recommended. is what I have in there now and been in their since 69k+ but I'm ready to change them out
Question
what's the difference with the copper core and copper plus ?
I also understand per manual the exhaust changes out every 100K ?

any help would be appreciated
Thx

Old 03-31-2022, 02:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Copper core, and copper plugs are just two terms for the same thing.

The exhaust changes?? Hhhmmm.... I could see the O2 sensors..... they do have a finite life span. NTK or denso only on the sensors please.

Old 04-01-2022, 08:36 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

Exhaust plugs. 08 4.7 uses two different types of plugs because it has 16 of them (dual plugs per cylinder).

Old 04-01-2022, 03:47 PM
GRed
Professional

So the exhaust takes a diff plug ? for all the Yttrium that I have in there now I should've used a diff plug for the exhaust?

Old 04-01-2022, 03:50 PM
GRed
Professional

What do you think about these type of plugs FR8TE2 OE GENUINE Yttrium Spark Plug vs copper one's

Old 04-01-2022, 09:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

The older trucks have real issues with rare-earth plugs where coppers are recommended. Tends to lead to mystery misfires..... Not everyone experiences that, some have no trouble at all. It's luck of the draw. If they aren't causing any trouble, leave 'em in there.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:49 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

My understanding is that the exhaust side plugs do not fire on the compression stroke, and are a pain to get to. Dodge recommends iridium for service interval purposes. The plugs you mention will work fine.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:25 PM
GRed
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The older trucks have real issues with rare-earth plugs where coppers are recommended. Tends to lead to mystery misfires..... Not everyone experiences that, some have no trouble at all. It's luck of the draw. If they aren't causing any trouble, leave 'em in there.
I appreciate it..I went on a 4 hour trip to EL Paso from Albuquerque 275 mi. and the closer I got to EL Paso my mileage went up by the time I got there
it was over 22 miles to the gal. Same coming back and only burned about 3/8 of a tank I have to go again in 3 wks
but I have noticed a ticking sound on start up not the exhaust bolts this goes away after warm up I was thinking putting in some upper lifter Lub before I go
any ideas?? other than this I have had any issues

Old 04-02-2022, 08:37 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by GRed
I appreciate it..I went on a 4 hour trip to EL Paso from Albuquerque 275 mi. and the closer I got to EL Paso my mileage went up by the time I got there
it was over 22 miles to the gal. Same coming back and only burned about 3/8 of a tank I have to go again in 3 wks
but I have noticed a ticking sound on start up not the exhaust bolts this goes away after warm up I was thinking putting in some upper lifter Lub before I go
any ideas?? other than this I have had any issues
The lifters are hydraulic. They tend to lose oil while sitting, so they tick until they prime up with oil again. I replaced all of mine at 313K. Lifter finally locked up and a rocker ejected. Run thin full synthetic oil for quicker flow to upper reaches.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs