3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lift kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 04:23 PM
BlueDodge02
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lift kit questions

ok so I've got a few questions here about lift kits.
#1 do I have to use special ball joints and upper control arm and tie rods for the lift kit or just the normal ones
#2 does anyone know of a higher lift kit for a 2002 dodge ram 1500 4x4 crew cab short bed, I can only find 5" lift but haven't had to much time to really dive in and look to hard.
#3 how can I tell what lift kit I currently have (it's been on it for 15ish years) I think it's rancho but they currently don't sell any for that truck but it has had rancho shocks ever since my mom lifted it in 2006

Thanks for everyone who responded, it sure does help

Old 09-12-2022, 07:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

1) depends on the lift. The 1500 is IFS, so, a lot depends on how they lift it. I am thinkin' you can't go much more than about 3" without dropping the diff, and probably lower control arms, at least.
2) what size tires do you want to run? What gears do you currently have? Keep in mind, if you want to stuff some monster meats under there, better budget to re-gear as well, otherwise, you will be smoking transmissions once a week.
3) that's gonna be tough..... if you can find any parts that are DEFINITELY part of the lift, (differential, or control arm drop brackets, control arms, etc,) maybe they have a part number you can search on, or talk to the manufacturer, and see what kits they generally came with. Otherwise, its gonna remain a mystery.

Before you start doing major suspension mods though, need to decide what the end goal is. Trucks lifter more than 5" or so, really don't make for good daily drivers......

Old 09-12-2022, 08:36 PM
BlueDodge02
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
1) depends on the lift. The 1500 is IFS, so, a lot depends on how they lift it. I am thinkin' you can't go much more than about 3" without dropping the diff, and probably lower control arms, at least.
2) what size tires do you want to run? What gears do you currently have? Keep in mind, if you want to stuff some monster meats under there, better budget to re-gear as well, otherwise, you will be smoking transmissions once a week.
3) that's gonna be tough..... if you can find any parts that are DEFINITELY part of the lift, (differential, or control arm drop brackets, control arms, etc,) maybe they have a part number you can search on, or talk to the manufacturer, and see what kits they generally came with. Otherwise, its gonna remain a mystery.

Before you start doing major suspension mods though, need to decide what the end goal is. Trucks lifter more than 5" or so, really don't make for good daily drivers......
Yeah I already got what I think is a 5" lift because that is what my mom said, she said a 5" lift and 3" body and it's riding on 38x13.5r17 tires and it's got a 3.92 gear in back, tranny is good, lift kit is just 15 ish years old and the ball joints are kinda old and was just wondering, and I just wanted to know if there was anything bigger that I could go for or just rebuild my lift kit like ball joint and all that, I daily drive it now and nothing is wrong with it I would just like to help improve it's longevity and ride quality. And I can find any model numbers that go to anything.

Old 09-13-2022, 04:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Then it probably already has at least some of the stuff to keep the suspension/axles from binding, and snapping like twigs.

3.92 really isn't enough gear for 38's..... Unless the first couple gears in the trans are REALLY deep.

Think I would start with jacking it up, and inspecting EVERYTHING under there.... look for anything that moves, that shouldn't, and things that don't move, that should. See what the condition of the parts are currently, and go from there.

Old 09-13-2022, 04:53 PM
BlueDodge02
Amateur

Then it probably already has at least some of the stuff to keep the suspension/axles from binding, and snapping like twigs.

3.92 really isn't enough gear for 38's..... Unless the first couple gears in the trans are REALLY deep.

Think I would start with jacking it up, and inspecting EVERYTHING under there.... look for anything that moves, that shouldn't, and things that don't move, that should. See what the condition of the parts are currently, and go from there.
Yeah the lift kit is actually in good condition and nothing is loose or broke it's just the ball joints, they aren't even gone out the rubber boot part that holds the grease is broke, I just wanna replace those and mabey the bushings on the control arms, and the truck has no problem turning the tires, it's not like crazy power or anything but it's not completely powerless. It gets 8mpg right now, and the transmission has stock gear ratio as far as I know, but what gear would you recommend for less wear on the tranny and engine and mabey some more power.
Thanks for all responses and help!

Old 09-14-2022, 03:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have a look at your control arms. If they are stock, then likely the balljoints are as well. On some, I think the control arm is replaced to change the ball joint.....

With 38 inch tires, I would want at the bare miniumum, 4.56 gears, preferably 4.88..... They *should* be available for your truck, but, changing gears is not inexpensive, and way to easy to screw up. So, either having someone help you do it, that has done it before (successfully....) or paying someone to do it is the best plan.

Might even go 5.??, whatever is available for your axles. And remember, have to do BOTH axles. Otherwise, if you try and use 4x4, things go BOOM! and the wallet gets emptied.

Old 09-15-2022, 08:00 AM
BlueDodge02
Amateur

Have a look at your control arms. If they are stock, then likely the balljoints are as well. On some, I think the control arm is replaced to change the ball joint.....

With 38 inch tires, I would want at the bare miniumum, 4.56 gears, preferably 4.88..... They *should* be available for your truck, but, changing gears is not inexpensive, and way to easy to screw up. So, either having someone help you do it, that has done it before (successfully....) or paying someone to do it is the best plan.

Might even go 5.??, whatever is available for your axles. And remember, have to do BOTH axles. Otherwise, if you try and use 4x4, things go BOOM! and the wallet gets emptied.
Hahaha that would suck but I will definitely look into a gear swap Soon.

Old 04-16-2023, 12:46 AM
RPMRamFury
Professional

Originally Posted by BlueDodge02
Yeah I already got what I think is a 5" lift because that is what my mom said, she said a 5" lift and 3" body and it's riding on 38x13.5r17 tires and it's got a 3.92 gear in back, tranny is good, lift kit is just 15 ish years old and the ball joints are kinda old and was just wondering, and I just wanted to know if there was anything bigger that I could go for or just rebuild my lift kit like ball joint and all that, I daily drive it now and nothing is wrong with it I would just like to help improve it's longevity and ride quality. And I can find any model numbers that go to anything.
whyd you have to ask your mom what lift you have 😂

The following users liked this post:
jrsick (04-16-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 09:55 AM
Bwingnutt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 6” Skyjacker lift kit with dual front shocks.

Quick Reply: Lift kit questions